Mama's Boys Talkin' Cookin'

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by justingroves, Oct 18, 2018.

1. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I made a ribeye for my brother in law, I was dating his sister, my wife at the time. So I wanted to impress her and him so I look good to her. I get 3 nice 1 1/2 inch steaks. Cook them to medium, used a thermometer to make sure they were perfect. Took them off the grill, put half a stick of butter on all three in the oven that was just warm. I was young and very proud of myself for cooking the thick ribeyes to near perfection. This mother[uck fay]er cuts into it and asks if I can cook it well done. I put it back on the grill and cook the shit out of it, give it to him, he says, you got any ketchup? I said get the [uck fay] out.

Beechervol, DC Vol, chavisut and 2 others like this.
  2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Hey dude, thanks for the invite

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I grew up when Bonanza on Mt Moriah in memphis was a treat. Used A1 like my dad did.

justingroves likes this.
  4. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Yeah, I blew it. Next time.

I will add the game was still on while we were there, so a definite risk of illness if eyes settled too long on the screen.

kmf600 likes this.
  5. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

Umm, I'm mid-40's and still do this.

6. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

The soppin Groves boys. Love it.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'd say 9/10 times i ask for a burger medium rare they cook it medium to medium well anyway. restaurants out here are terrified of getting sued. there is a restaurant chain out here that 20 years ago used to cook all their burgers medium rare even though it said medium. it was so rare sometimes that i would ask for medium well so it would be medium. now when i go i order medium rare and they tell me they can only do medium and it comes out medium well to well done. bleh.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I don't blame them. I don't want my hamburger medium rare. Too many dangers.

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

the chances of you getting sick from properly treated and cooked beef are pretty damn slim.

10. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

So wife came home from Costco with a bone-in pork shoulder.

Spent last night trimming the fatcap off and put it in a brine of Apple Cider Vinegar/spice mix with some sugar and a shot of Jack Daniels. Pulling it out and injecting left over brine when I get home and then laying on a rub and letting that sit until Saturday morning.

Then I'm going to smoke it with some apple and hickory wood. Wife is making her family's german potato salad recipe along with some really good cole slaw and macaroni and cheese.

Tenacious D likes this.
  11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

sounds awesome. i love pulled pork.

12. Ssmiff

is there a holiday I don't know about?

13. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Address and time, please?

utvol0427 likes this.
  14. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Porkapulloosa this weekend.

15. Ssmiff

you go vinegar base sauce? Went to a local place here that had 6 or 7 different sauces all with different bases. One was blueberry. Dude won season 6 of Pit boss and opened a place a mile away. I still like old school vinegar base.

reVOLt likes this.
  16. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

For my brine and mop sauce, yeah. I also use a yellow mustard as a base for my rub. It burns off and creates a phenomenal bark.

Only sauce I use on it once it is pulled is cole slaw.

17. Ssmiff

I likie making pork nachos. Throw some nacho cheese on there, sauce, jalapenos, lettuce, tomato.

18. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

pork nachos are great, so is pulled pork chili poured over some cornbread.

kmf600 likes this.
  19. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

You’re way more likely to get it from the lettuce

20. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

I've tinkered with a vinegar, ketchup, molasses base that is pretty good on pork.

It has the tang, tomatoe, and sweet combo. I put a little heat in it as well.

I've cooked several tons of pork shoulder many Chickens and ribs, and a few briskets.

If you get chicken right with a good sauce. It's hard for me to take anything else above that.