Marriage Equality

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by fl0at_, Jun 26, 2015.

1. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Honestly he could use his same reason from yesterday to oppose it.

"Through any logical reading of the constitution there are no grounds to deny legal benefits and stature to same sex couples, but when reading it the way I wish it had written I find that these people should continue to be discriminated against."

2. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Talked to my brother, he was pretty emotional as well.

3. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Forgot to say congratulations. It's been a long time coming.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I want to reiterate what Float said. It is a great day for America and a great day for you and your spouse, GCB.

I am proud to be an American today.

5. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

It has become acceptable somehow, lately.

7. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

My company has offered benefits to same sex spouses who live in states where marriage is recognized for years, but we just got an email that they extending those benefits now to same sex partners (who were married in a state that recognizes same sex marriage) in all states. I guess there were significant tax implications before.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

So weren't there predictions of terrible celestial retribution or something if this happened? When does that go down?

9. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yeah for instance the health insurance benefit for your spouse is taxable if you aren't married.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So, so, so happy I'm out of public accounting right now. I don't want to even want to know the can of worms this opened regarding state tax laws, amended returns, etc.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

oh i'm sure the govt has made it so you can't amend your returns and get money back.

12. CardinalVol

But if they deemed it was legal in all states and thus valid marriages, I'd think they'd have to allow it, or at least give to option to amend.

13. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

Wonder how far back you can go? Or is it effective today?

14. CardinalVol

Hence the reason I am glad I am out of it.

15. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Antonin Scalia's dissent, predictably, is pretty embarrassing. "As a hippe"? "Threat to American democracy"? A "putsch"? I know some here revere him, but his scathing commentary on issues like this one that will define a generation are setting him up to being our time's Roger Taney.

16. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Can we still deny polygamists or siblings the right to marry? This opens the door for others to use the same argument as they did for gay marriage. Not endorsing either but it does open up a can of worms.

17. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

18. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Oh, and I'm already seeing some defenders of "traditional marriage" among family members and friends. I just want to note two things. One, justification because of "tradition" is the most intellectually bankrupt justification available. Doing something because that's the way it has always been done is simply an admission that you have no real reason to support your position other than that's the way it always has been done. Well, supposedly always, because the concept of marriage has a much different purpose and meaning attached to it in recent history, unless we are still arranging marriages to join lands, provide some financial benefit for families or anything of the like. Marrying for love is probably the biggest redefinition of marriage in the epoch of history. Anyone who tries to pull the traditional marriage car with me will get asked if they want their parents to tell them who to marry.

19. OrangeEmpire

Tribulation talk

So help me, I love it so.

20. OrangeEmpire

You know we have it good as a country when the top two things peoples are worried about is gay marriage and a secessionist symbol.