Millennials: What do you think of us?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Indy, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Richard Dick

Richard Dick New Member

I'll be the first to admit my generation has it easy, but so did yours.

2. Richard Dick

Richard Dick New Member

Never got below an A on a paper at UT. I rarely did required reading either. All you have to do is use sources on wiki articles. If it's an upper level research paper you find good source material then uses google books to search for keywords. Instant quotes.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not in my opinion. I didn't have internet growing up most of the time. When I went to college and had access 24/7, everything was way easier. At that time (early 2000's) most instructors still wanted book/physical sources, but you knew exactly what you were looking for or what a book contained before you even walked into the library. Saved so much time.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

That depends on your instructor. I had instructors who looked for that (wiki article sources) and dropped the hammer if you didn't have anything else.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

not as easy. we had AIDS, no smart phones, dial up internet, standard definition TV, couldn't rip of papers off the internet.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

8. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Gracious, did anyone read the 1-50 one liners? Stubborn, foolish, lazy, and disrespectful come to mind. Funny to see "49. We have morals." put in there after everything else that was said.

9. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

11. snoball5278

snoball5278 Contributor

bunch of ****ing snowflakes.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, I'm special.

13. As someone who went to college over ten years ago and has now returned, here's my opinion. Technology has no doubt made research easier. Teachers though are inclined to give more homework, because a lot of them use online platforms like Wiley or McGraw Hill that grade it for them.

Socially, times are worse imo. It's all about electronic communication. Social media has turned many young folks into socially inept people with inflated senses of self-importance. I'm of the age where sarcasm reigned supreme, and that is completely lost on this younger generation, I guess because it's not easily conveyed in short text messages. Many would be shocked how much my sarcasm gets taken for truth.

I do miss the days when we were less connected and info wasn't so readily available.

14. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

My generation is a bunch of self entitled douchebags, too.

15. Dick Huffman

Dick Huffman Guest

Mine are more shitheads with yours truly leading the parade.

16. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

I am not sure if "ironic" is the correct word - but for this writer to claim that her generation does not need corporate America or whatever seems ironic to me given that this is the most consumer-driven generation in world history.

Their entire identity is tied to what they buy and consume.

17. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

Some of these statements are amazingly awful. Blanket statements are always the best:

"Sarcasm is lost on this generation."
    "This generation doesn't know how to communicate."
    "I do miss the days where we were less connected and info wasn't so readily available."

I suppose the endearing traits of laziness, ignorance and grand ideas of delusion were all created, fostered, and mastered by the Millenials. It's a good thing none of these traits were acquired from the multitude of superior past generations.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't take any of it too seriously. We'll say it about the next generation too. The only thing I've gotten from all of this is to be mindful of not judging the next group too harshly or too soon. After all, where did they come from? Who raised them?

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's why I laugh at the 45 to 55 year olds raising hell with us

20. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

Generally speaking, I find today's young people to be arrogant and self-indulgent...not necessarily lazy, but lacking true commitment and ambition. Far too entitled. No emotional durability. Exaggerated sense of talent and worth.

Looking back, reminds me a little of myself back in the day.