MLB

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, Aug 13, 2015.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I think it’s a lot harder than you think it is.

2. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

That may be true, but standing on the right side of the plate, a bunt should go left, just based on physics.

3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

It's not hard if guys want to do it. Most don't though. It's not sexy, but would end shifts if pro hitters checked their ego and started doing it.

4. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

That's SEC caliber right there.

6. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Are professional sports supposed to be easy?

7. InVolNerable

8. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I’ve been told hitting or bunting it the opposite way of the shift is.

9. InVolNerable

Definitely easier to get a hit by hitting/bunting it where there are zero defenders than it is by hitting into 9. Maybe they should take some time out of their day jobs to practice doing that. Maybe even enlist the help of the batting coaches who are paid to help with just that type of thing.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

It would make for a better game if you banned the shift, period. It's the same reason there is a defensive 3 seconds in the NBA.

11. JohnnyQuickkick

Banning Matt Carpenter would also make for a better game

emainvol likes this.
  12. JohnnyQuickkick

Also the problem with the 3 pa rule for pitchers reared its ugly head. Genesis Cabrera hit Bryce Harper in the face, clearly unintentionally, then hit the next guy, with his first 2 pitches. Clearly had no control over his stuff. Girardi lost his shit and got tossed which I partly understand and partly don’t, there’s no question that the guy just had no idea where it was going and probably should’ve been pulled after Harper but had to face a third batter too. No one was served by this situation

13. CardinalVol

I do not disagree with this.

emainvol likes this.
  14. JohnnyQuickkick

Shildt has a bit too much Matheny in him

15. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I did some research, because I don't want to just fall into a trap of "this is how it should be" on the shift. And when reading about what some of these hitters are saying, I am going "wtf??"

"Doubles are better than singles, so I am going to not hit opposite the shift and simply get on first when there is a smaller chance I will get a double or HR" is what it all boiled down to. They gave statistics and analytics, talked about how that is how they were taught, etc.

I just don't get that mentality. I guess I am stuck in the past and that is where I should just stay. But it sure seems like it has sucked all of the joy and artistry out of the game. Kind of like what deChambeau is trying to do with golf.

Like I said, perhaps my day has passed me by for sports.

16. InVolNerable

Nah

17. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

18. InVolNerable

So Baltimores pitcher yesterday threw a no -hit, no-walk, no-hit-batter, 27 plate appearance no-hitter.

Only reason it wasn’t a perfect game is because a batter reached on a missed third strike. And then got caught stealing.

19. JohnnyQuickkick

Angels gonna release Pujols today

20. CardinalVol

Wow.

Just wow.

I get it, but wow.