MLB

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, Aug 13, 2015.

1. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

Bums me out the more I think about it. You know there are some diehard As fans. And to lose your team to Vegas of all places. Will anyone even care about it or appreciate it that much there?

justingroves likes this.
  2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The Titans didn't get here soon enough for me to care plus I couldn't cheer for Eddie George and Jevon Kearse. My grandmother taught me to cheer for players, not NFL teams.

It's always been Vols and no one else football wise.

3. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The As were an Oakland staple

Poppa T likes this.
  4. yont sum iss?

Also the irony of MLB putting a team in the gambling capitol of the world is pretty good.

5. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I'm with your Grandmother re: NFL.

At least the Colleges are not gonna up and move in the middle of the night. I guess the players will now more easily, but the Vols will be the Vols in Knoxville. And I will always be an Alum. So, Go Vols!

The Colts are not the Colts and I never was able to mentally transition the Oilers to the Titans. And the Panthers have not brought too many Vols on board. Occasionally, but not often.

I got to believe the A's move to Vegas is hard pill for the old school Oakland baseball fans. My perception is they are Oakland fans first and now they got nothing.

justingroves likes this.
  6. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I for one can’t fathom life as someone who grew up as a Nashvillian born in the 90s without the Titans. The Titans are such a uniting force for anyone around my age and younger that grew up within the greater Nashville community. Can’t imagine living here and not having a local NFL team to care about. I feel bad for those who don’t actually have an NFL team to emotionally latch onto on Sundays. Sure, I’ll always love college football/The Vols more passionately than the NFL. However having an emotional interest in an NFL team doesn’t take anything away from giving a shit about the Tennessee Vols first and foremost. Having an NFL team just makes football season that more awesome if anything.

With that said I do feel bad for the actual Oakland fans who are losing their baseball team. Iconic baseball uniforms and a decent history. I’m also glad that if Nashville does get a MLB team soon (which seems kinda likely tbh) that the A’s move to Vegas ensures that Nashville will be spared from that cheap wad of an owner specifically.

Only thing I woulda changed about the Titans is how they should have just kept the Oliers moniker. The Tennessee Oilers woulda been just fine in the long run. Just like LA getting the Minnesota Lakers worked in the long run. Or how the Grizzles stayed the Grizzlies once they got to Memphis despite Grizzly Bears not being a thing in Memphis, Tennessee. Those Oiler uniforms were so damn beautiful and iconic

7. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I kinda root for the titans. If I found out tomorrow they were moving somewhere I’d shed 0 tears

8. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

I think it all boils down to what you grew up with. The youngsters who grew up with a Pro team in their city will most likely be invested, until the team moves and then it is debatable whether they will stick with it or not

The sad part for Oakland is they (imo) are a multi-generational following of kids who believed the A's were theirs (and the Raiders). And now they are not.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Was probably a hit anyway

The Dooz and InVolNerable like this.
  10. yont sum iss?

Drew Smyly almost throws a perfect game against you? The Dodgers are dead and buried. I’m declaring it now. (And they still haven’t won a legit World Series since the 80s)

11. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I’ll take beating the ever loving shit out of the Dodgers as a consolation prize.

12. yont sum iss?

The Nats got the #1 pick in the Strasburg and Harper years. Now watch them get it this year and get Dylan Crews.

13. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Spencer Strider had 13 Ks in 8 IP tonight and it actually lowered his K/9 for the season.

yont sum iss? and NashVol11 like this.
  14. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

That's a good one

16. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Pfft, sure you can strike out a bunch of guys, but can you do this?

17. yont sum iss?

9 straight starts with at least 9 Ks. All time record is 11 by Nolan Ryan.

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

19. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Braves and Pirates with the best NL records so far. As expected. Be cool if Pittsburg can keep it up. A very underrated baseball town on the rare occasion the Pirates are actually worth a damn

20. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Random but related: was he fully absolved of any wrong doing surrounding his domestic violence issue?