MLB

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, Aug 13, 2015.

1. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Gary [uck fay]ing Sanchez. Guy hit 50 points below his weight this year. Playoffs.

2. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

It would be nice if people would only attribute thoughts, words, and udeas to me that I ahve actually expressed.

I do agree, though, that pitchers should not have to hit on the days days they aren't [uck fay]ing playing, if that's what you are trying to get across. Outfielders, too, should not be forced into the lineup when they aren't playing in the outfield.

3. YankeeVol

YankeeVol Member

Yanks need that last night (obviously). Sanchez can't catch a lick but he can hit the damn ball alright

4. cotton

Why should any position hit?

5. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

That's the whole point, Mr. Genius.

Anticipating your next comment that inevitably will be intentionally daft: You already think specialization is an acceptable practice in every other role of the game and that not every player is required to master every portion of the game.

Now go be dumb somewhere else.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  6. cotton

I don't think you understand the idea I am trying to convey. I think pitchers should hit, much like every other position that plays. That is anti-specialization.

I'm also not sure I understand all of the vitriol you are expressing towards me over the seemingly controversial stance that I prefer my baseball without the dh rule. Is something else bothering you? Have you and I crossed paths before? Are you one of those assholes that changed their names and I have forgotten? I really don't get it, perhaps because I am daft.

7. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

TL;DR

8. cotton

Cause you are stupid

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I ride with cotton. You’re in the lineup the day you pitch. So, you hit.

I think it adds to the strategy of a game. Do I pinch hit? Try to get another inning out of a guy? Makes a manager think about how he composes and uses his roster.

No, I don’t watch baseball to see pitchers hit, but it should be a part of the whole. I don’t watch football to watch the long snapper or holder. Why don’t we just let the kicker put it on a tee?

Joseph Brant likes this.
  10. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

He hit .186 this year.

11. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

BABIP was .197, that was fluky as hell and we all know it

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

So are you suggesting that an AL manager doesn’t have to think about how he composes his roster? Does he just select names from a hat? Eeny, meeny, miny, Moe?

And I’m glad you brought up football. Why does the the QB not also kick? If you start, you kick, right? Why don’t kickers have to also play in the field? Or is it that you’d rather have a guy playing the position he specializes in? Like a WR and catching. We don’t ask them to punt. Why is that?

13. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Nice bad take.

But just so we’re clear, if given a choice who would you rather have hit at least twice in tonight’s game:

Player A
    .073/.078/.091/.170

Player B
    .242/.337/.418/.789

14. JohnnyQuickkick

Come on. You know managing in the AL and NL is different.

Kickers do play in the field. Why don’t we let a a linebacker be his “designated tackler” on a kickoff.

15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

So does an AL manager have to think about how he composes and uses his roster? Or is it just the NL manager who does?

And pitchers also play in the field. Just like kickers. But the point is we don’t ask them to run, catch or throw the ball. And before fake plays are thrown out there as examples of kickers doing those things, one, they’re extremely rare and two, I’m not saying pitchers hitting should be outlawed. If you want to take your chances with one hitting that’s fine. I’ll take my chances (and like them better) with a designated professional hitter.

16. JohnnyQuickkick

I’d rather have had Albert Pujols hit in all 9 spots. Let somebody else run the bases, too.

17. JudgmentVol

JudgmentVol Chieftain

This is still the same place. I said go be dumb elsewhere.

18. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

So you’re fine with pinch runners but not designated hitters?

19. JohnnyQuickkick

Sure. Pinch runners are fine. And when you replace a guy with a pinch runner he’s out of the game.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  20. cotton

If you had any authority what so ever, I might listen to you.

You don't. [uck fay] you.