Modern Healthcare

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, May 18, 2016.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Funny. I love how the part about the free market being the blame, while we have anything but a free market.

I also can't wait till we get some more reform from the people that has totally ****ed the system up.

Next we can have them make college free by magic after them driving up the cost the last few decades.

2. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Touché.

3. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

I need to find the source, but I read most of these Pharm companies spend 2-3X more on marketing than they do R&D. I understand 'spend to make' but the ratio seems a bit off.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

He was actually blaming it on not being a free market at all, but the fact that this company has had a stranglehold on the EpiPen patent for decades, and can basically charge what they want because people need the damn things.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

Read the first sentence of my post again.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Doesn't that kind of imply they have the best technology and should be rewarded for that?

7. NorrisAlan

Is there another type of auto injector available? And I have severe allergies to the extreme for profit slant in medicine.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Why isn't there another one?

9. NorrisAlan

No clue why. Perhaps it is impossible to do without infringing on their patent.

Whatever the reason, I still find the idea of charging what you can because you can when it comes to something people cannot live without is morally reprehensible.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

There's also a federal law requiring them to sell two at a time, instead of just being able to buy one. I do wish there was more competition in the marketplace though

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Patent is damn strong and broad

12. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Her dad is a Senator?

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

No American should have to choose between life-saving / sustaining medicine, or food and other basic necessities.

I don't profess to know how to do that, but that's where the issue should conclude.

14. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

And let me add this: Obamacare is just as big of a late-term / partial-birth abortion as so many here predicted it would be.

And with so many insurers now dropping out, I've read that it simply may not survive, from having fallen in on itself.

15. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

my predictions are as follows

1 single payor within a decade. insurance companies will serve as administrators of plan

2 direct pay physicians will become more and more popular for upper classes

3 medicare/Healthcare are what finally bankrupts America within our kids lifetimes

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

The insurance companies already had their shot, hope we don't let them administer shit.

17. NorrisAlan

Along with single payer, they will have to regulate costs, of course. Otherwise companies are just going to gouge the ever loving shit out of the system.

And it is shocking the growth in medical costs in this country since the 1960's

[​IMG]

And I don't think it is purely coincidental that TV ads for prescription drugs were started in the late 1980s and really ramped up in the late 1990s either.

18. CardinalVol

get ready for it. they are too intertwined and powerful at this point.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Any advertising should be done at care centers. Out posters and pamphlets there. Pay fees to the doctor's office and clinic. Advertising on television to laymen seems like driving cattle more than actually providing information.

20. CardinalVol

as long as I can still mooch off drug reps lunches when I visit practices I'm fine with it.