Modern Healthcare

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by NorrisAlan, May 18, 2016.

1. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

It's why I [itch bay] about exorbitant taxes.

2. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Don't worry, Obamacare is about to take care of all of this Healthcare mess.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Look at how they manage the VA. They also do a horrible job of maintenance and up keep of the infrastructure as a whole too.

The goal is for groundbreaking and big news stores for press and coverage to get re-elected. We have a broken system in healthcare, but it's because we've created a bastardized version. I don't think a single payer would be an improvement over our current one, that's not to say we should accept the current one and be happy though.

4. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

My Dad is a small business owner and employs about 15 people. All of his employees would fall into the working class or lower middle class category. My Dad has always paid 100% of his employees health insurance but when the premiums shoot up later this year his employees are going to have to start paying 20-30%.

I don't really have a point other than this has to be happening all over the country to blue collar people who probably thought they'd benefit from Obamacare, or at least not be hurt by it.

5. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

We need a new crew running this school Mr. Gates.

Thanks in advance. pooroleVFL

6. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

As a a small business owner myself it has already hit us.

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

yup my premium is up 25% and my deductible is up 300% since the advent of obamacare. my current plan basically pays for nothing unless I end up in the hospital.

8. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

How and why? I have asked this question before but I do not recall an answer or what it was. If your plan didn't change (save for an increase in deductible, which should LOWER the cost), how can your insurance justify this?

9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

My health insurance has gone up every year (15+) since I started paying for it on my own when I was 19. This isn't some new thing that just happened.

10. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Mine changed once, when our first kid was born. Then, it's went up $275 after Obamacare passed

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

got to pay for the new deadbeats on the system somehow. Obama also made it so insurance companies can't deny coverage, or charge more, based on preexisting conditions which of course attracts a bunch of new people with preexisting conditions and makes total cost per person go up.

12. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I actually just went back and looked at all of my yearly statements in the last 6.5 years I've worked here, and it actually stayed the same the last 3 years.

So I stand corrected.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

it was incremental though. since obamacare it's 10 times the increase it used to be.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

that's very rare, if not unheard of. i'm guessing your company is picking up the difference rather than passing it on (edit or your deductible has gone up considerably).

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they also can't charge more by age since obamacare and older people are subsidized. my 62 year old partner with a bunch of health issues pays less than I do (not including my family coverage) which is absurd.

16. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You're lucky

17. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

These deadbeats. In order for the company to pay for them, front they have to have a policy, thus are paying premiums? The idea that adding more people to insurance drives the cost up seems backwards to me.

The existing condition stipulation is a hard one. With no national healthcare, and ten a known problem, it would be nearly impossible to get coverage. But I understand the cost side of it as well.

And for the record, obamacare is a horrible law and needs to be changed. But I don't want it to go back to the system we had beforehand either.

18. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no. the people added are getting subsidized care. if you are adding people who are a) paying less than average than the other participants and/or b) more unhealthy than average than the current participants, obviously the cost has to rise.

we had govt subsidized coverage for high risk people already. difference is they had to pay higher premiums than average to get it which to me is fair and makes sense.

19. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

You wouldn't. You wouldn't have a choice. Automatic increase in resources.

20. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Never been on a toll road?