Money Investments

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by GahLee, Jul 30, 2019.

1. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

I've been researching on money investment recently. What markets do you invest in and why? How are your returns and fees? What mistakes did you make when you initially began investing? What markets would you avoid? How much should the 2020 election be considered?

Look forward to any answers.

2. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Don’t over think it.

Max out your 401k and Roth IRA.

Most millionaires never made over 100,000 dollars a year. They just consistently contributed to their retirement accounts and lived below their means.

NorrisAlan likes this.
  3. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

If I had to do it over again I would put less in the market and buy properties. Not accessing retirement until 65 without penalty sucks. Nothing like saving your whole life to retire only to die soon after, or be unable to enjoy it fully.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

What kind of deal did you sign? 59.5 is when you can get it outside of 401(k) or IRA.

5. CardinalVol

I also recommend the strategy of hookers and cocaine. Good ROI on each. Less sunk costs. Definitely risk/reward, but worth it IMO.

kmf600 likes this.
  6. Ssmiff

Roth and a SEP.

7. CardinalVol

59.5, not 65 unless you've signed up in some kind of annuity in it.

8. Ssmiff

well that helps. I always thought it was automatically 65

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Just don’t go and die and you have it made

10. CardinalVol

59.5 and you can pull out money put into a Roth at any time with 0 penalty, just can't take out any earnings. It's my backup college plan if needed.

11. Ssmiff

Got my first one covered. With my other 2, backup college plan is Columbia St for free for 2 years, then they pay their own way with a little of my help. I'm not saving $ for them to go to ole miss or uk at 35k+ a year.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I'm hoping the properties pay off for me or I'll die working

GahLee likes this.
  13. Ssmiff

With your work ethic, you will die working anyway. It just may be as a bed and breakfast fishing guide

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

At your age, if they don't then we all have bigger problems.

justingroves and GahLee like this.
  15. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I like land. I just don’t want to be a landlord

16. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Land requires too much cash upfront for me to buy into, and I don't have the cash flow for a bunch of mortgages.

17. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I put a little bit of money into a fundrise account this year. It's crowd sourced property investment. I'm curious to see how it goes over the next year. Was looking at ways to diversify out of just stocks.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Bitcoin and lotto tickets

19. Ssmiff

In 2009, you coulda bought a lot in Inlet beach on 30A for 20k, on the beach side of the road. You dont wanna know the lot value is now. Same for downtown areas. Everybody I know who invested in beach properties or downtown condos after the fall around 2007ish have it made as far as asset value and the $ they invested in.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Real estate is good if you know what you’re buying, but you can lose your ass on it quick too.

I buy small tracts of raw land generally in the 10-50 acre range that have set awhile that have a good stand of marketable timber.