#myNYPD Backfires...(and we talk a lot about dogs)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, Apr 22, 2014.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I like German shepherds, too. That may be my next dog once this one kicks it. Or back to blue ticks, which was originally how I came to love Tennessee as a young kid.

2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

They have lots of intestinal & stomach issues, right? They are prone to stomach twisting & strangulated intestines if I remember correctly. It's a common cause of death in mastiffs, again, if I'm remembering correctly.

3. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Golden Retrievers are good family dogs.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

That, and hip issues.

5. JAllen18MVP

JAllen18MVP Member

Quicked my Rat Terrier more than a few times while trimming her nails over the past few years. Might be the worst feeling in the world.

Couldn't ask for a sweeter dog, though.

6. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

God, my beagle is the stupidest dog that has ever been born but she is the most loving animal we've ever owned. I swear though, if there is a dead animal or a pile of shit within a 1 mile radius of the house, her ass is going to roll in it until she is covered and caked with stench. I could strangle the **** out of her.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I love rabbit hunting with beagles, but I don't have the patience to own any.

8. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

I love to hear her run. We have 20 acres or so that the dogs run around on and I love to see her tail pop straight up and hear her bay when she gets on one.

9. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

The first dog my wife and I owned together was a rat. She was a great little dog even being a little overly aggressive at times.

10. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I absolutely love my beagle, she doesn't know how to do anything but love people. She is also simultaneously the smartest and stupidest animal I've ever come across.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Ours only lived 5 or 6 years.

He killed a pig that got loose and came into our yard but other than that, he was amazingly sweet and laid back. We had a semi-tame cat that hung around and she had kittens under a trailer. If they came out from under it, he'd pick them up and carry them back.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I want a Belgian Malinois for my next dog. Mainly because they are crazy and I just feel safer having a dog around the house that pop-up visitors are squeamish about.

We had a Doberman for a long time, and even those she was the biggest wuss in the world 99% of the time, if someone ever came to our door, her roots came out and she stood at attention right by my or the wife's side at the door. I halfway always wanted someone to attack the wife or boy, just to see what she would do to them. She got defensive enough if we ever started playing too rough.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This past duck season, a dumbass brought his female lab and she came into heat. Well, there's 3 male labs that pretty much hunt every day who's owners are on the lease. It was a damn mess keeping them separated but I can't blame the dogs.

It reminded me of last call at Cool Beans.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The lab I have now went through an attitude change when my wife was pregnant. He went from never barking and loving everyone to being extremely protective of her and the house in general. He doesn't growl, but he just sits right in the door way and won't move. Once the baby came, he would sleep under the bassinet.

Now, with baby #2 on the way, he stays under my wife's feet. It's pretty funny.

15. JayVols

I had an Alaskan Malamute- that I bought- when I was in college & semi-living at home. I was playing around pushing my mom & got her in a bear hug. If that dog wasn't in a fenced-in back yard, she would have ripped my throat out with 1,200 psi of pressure. She was so sweet...until another animal got into her yard or someone messed with my mom. A chicken decided to fly into her lot once. Once. She chomped one time an laid the dead bird down.

16. JayVols

Hey Card. Use your mod powers and make a new Dogs thread or change the name of this one.

Yes, I know I just committed a bannable offense by telling you what to do..... Come at me, bro.

17. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

That's cool that you mention the Malinois. My next door neighbor (the country version of next door neighbor) has two of them. I had never heard of them until I saw them at his house. I thought they were some type of German Shephard at first. They are working drug dogs and they are amazing. He's shown me a little of what they can do. If they aren't working though they are batshit crazy. They run around the yard for no reason like a couple of 3 year old boys on meth. One of them came to my basement one day while I was working in the yard, scooped up a shovel in his mouth, and toted it off back to his house ... a DAMN SHOVEL!! I didn't even try to stop him ... just watched in awe.

18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I got to see those boys last week before I got tazed at a training facility. I would never want one of those things after me. Ever. They let them at one of the cops wearing the big heavy jacket and he still showed us a mark on his arm where that thing was going after him. I'd love to see one of those boys in action live going after someone.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Card's a sadist

20. Joseph Brant

Joseph Brant Airbrush Aficionado

The only animal I've seen that can get himself hopelessly stuck under a blanket, and then overcome obstacles a la sonic the hedgehog in order to steal food from the kitchen.