NC Amendment 1 Passes (Constitutionally Prevents Gay Marriage)

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, May 8, 2012.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'm not saying it wasn't discussed before the bible was written only that perhaps the same people wanting to believe in jesus divinity were the same that wrote the bible.

2. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

People were embellishing 3 days after Jesus died.

And if you want to look at history (tradition, 10 of the 11 Disciples (other than John) were all martyred (and he was boiled alive). Now, while I understand more people than just these guys have died for a cause before, it's really, really odd that they would die saying he rose from the dead unless they really, really, really believed it.

3. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

Which is why you'll find a small tent on the other side of the railroad tracks near my house.

Seriously, though, now that we are getting WAY off topic, relating the old covenant laws to the new is quite complex and interesting. Don't have time for a full-blown biblical theology here, but the bottom line is that I think prohibitions like the one above that were directed toward the Hebrew people were either ceremonial or cultural in nature and meant to govern the nation of Israel.

4. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Branch Davidians - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i agree, but why assume, as an example, that paul isn't doing the same for his flock rather than speaking god's word?

6. CardinalVol

Ok?

You confirming my above post that the Disciples weren't the first to die for something they believed in?

7. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

It should be noted i'm not saying what jesus or god does or does not believe or whether or not jesus is god, only that there seems to be enough doubt around to suggest that homosexuality shouldn't be a primary focus of church's time.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

willing to die for something you believe in doesn't mean what you believe is in correct or accurate.

9. CardinalVol

That's fair.

But is also means it could be as well.

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Sort of a false equivalency, don't you think? I'm sure it's easily construed that intentional harm done to another person would be frowned upon, according to New Testament writings, whereas an area like homosexuality is a little less clear cut and might need to be addressed, if it's so terrible.

11. CardinalVol

Not really. If we are going to use the "Jesus didn't talk about it" argument, let's be fair to all subjects.

Oh, and, homosexuality is brought up in the epistles as well if we're broadening the subject to the entire NT.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, this is a complete falsehood based off of logical fallacies and is a reaction to actual scholarship that indicates that the gospels were not recorded near the time of the supposed events. Mark and Luke are littered with anachronisms that don't make sense prior to 70 CE.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

The families of the 9/11 terrorists may find comfort in this.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Maybe this has been sufficiently covered, but when Jesus said "before Abraham was, I am" he was referring to this:

God replied to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: I AM has sent me to you." (Exodus 3:14 HCSB)

It's pretty clear what he meant.

15. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

I had breakfast with Robbie George one morning and we discussed this. His idea (or at least the first one i heard espouse it) of broadening civil partnerships to non-sexual relationships is interesting. He was not necessarily opposed to gay couples receiving insurance benefits, for instance, as long as, say, sisters who live together in a sort of partnership could also receive them.

16. CardinalVol

Ummmm......ok.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

of course.

18. CardinalVol

Name dropper.

19. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Ah, so, when Jesus brings up the "do unto others.." statement in Matthew 7:12, molesting children and raping people aren't included in that moral umbrella? Gotcha.

Plus, the epistle mentions are either by Paul or fairly ambiguous. Either way, the issue clearly wasn't a big deal to Jesus, especially in comparison to today's outcry from some quarters and validates my position that people typically seek to affirm pre-existing cultural positions within the Bible.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i guess what i dont' understand is why this is of such importance to certain churches. jesus certainly didn't spend a bunch of time talking about it. if the bible had similar language towards bedwetters i don't think we'd be talking about it today.