NCAA Football Coaching Carousel Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by GahLee, Oct 12, 2015.

1. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

So apparently Herman says he's all Houston ... unless ... Texas opens. Ha! If you're gonna go for it go big

2. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeessss!

Oh, sorry, DV

3. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

McElwain the exception

4. zero-sum

zero-sum New Member

Agree, but I think Cristobal is their #1. Lots of fans want Davis to return, not happenin', imo Richt is a former Cane but (regardless of what happens in Athens) I think that's a long shot

5. salutethehill

salutethehill Member

yawn

but I'll take it.

6. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

A few things....

Talked to a guy who is very in the know at Memphis. The type of guy who could pull out his phone and call up a Head Coach or top booster and just ask whats up. He said that Fuente is gone, which we all knew. However, he said the reports of Fuente to VT are premature. Said it might still happen, but he has options and could have more by weeks end.

(Non football related: Same person told me that while fans want Pastner out, Memphis simply can't afford to buy him out at the moment. "Nobody if writing that check" .... I think its 10-11 million right now)

Next up... A coach I work with has formerly coached in some aspect at the JUCO and D1 level. Some of the guys he has worked with now work at various schools around the country. Anyway, one of them is allegedly at Alabama. He was telling us recently that said friend at Bama says most of the staff at Alabama flat out dislikes Lane. Said its almost assured that he would be gone this year. He mentioned that while some coaches have left on their own, Saban has been known to lobby for certain guys to get other jobs so that he can get rid of them without firing them...lol

Same coach suggested Cristobal would likely be exiting Alabama as well.

7. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Memphis lacks the money to run Pastner because Fred Smith doesn't really care about basketball.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Lane won't be in Tuscaloosa in 2016

9. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I don't think dumping Miles for Fisher is much of an upgrade, if at all.

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Smart is all UGA fans and Sports Talk discusses to replace Richt. It has been that way for years.

11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

It's not

12. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Watching this eagles game. Cannot believe Kelley will be back in the NFL next year.

13. yont sum iss?

yont sum iss? Contributor

That team has flat quit.

14. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Yup.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

He doesn't have a choice either. It's just not his fit.

16. JT5

JT5 Super Moderator

But was as good a career move as he could have made after SC. Not a great fit, but everyone made the most of it.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, and he can add Saban to his list of references

18. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

He's better at developing QBs

And nothing else.

19. GoVols2003

GoVols2003 Contributor

I actually made this comment while talking with said person. His response was that Fred did care about basketball to a degree, but not to the degree that he is dropping 10 million to buyout a basketball coach. True to form though, Memphis fans are already jumping (or jumped already) ship and attendance and season tickets are dreadful.

Also, Memphis was never gonna pay Fuente over 3 million. It is one of those offers you can make when you know there is no chance the guy is gonna accept it. A gesture so that they could subsequently leak it to the media to appease fans and try and continue to distract fans that the basketball team still sucks.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Also an offer like that helps them with their coaching search. It shows financial commitment to the program which will attract better coaches to that shit hole.