NCAA Tournament - Tennessee Vols

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Mar 17, 2019.

1. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Peter Burns of ESPN picked UT to win it all in his bracket.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He also said Tennessee dunked on someone like Vol Twitter does Dan Wolken. He's an LSU grad, but I like him

3. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I think Bone is the best NBA prospect on this team, but I also think a lot of people don't know about him yet. I wouldn't be shocked if he stayed for his senior season, especially if he doesn't go off on a deep NCAA tournament run. But that's just a guess.

I think Grant needs to develop some more range before he's NBA-ready.

4. Tar Volon

Yeah, looking at chalk, we're in a solid spot here, as good as it's been since 2006 (but with a much better team). But madness happens sometimes. The seas parted for us in 2000 and 2018 and we choked. Maybe they part again this year, or maybe we have to face good Purdue and Virginia teams. We'll see. I just don't have faith in us to walk through the door even when it opens up.

A-Smith likes this.
  5. cotton

cotton Stand-up Philosopher

[dadgum]it, now I agree with Indy. First IP, now him.

This sucks.

NYY, Indy and justingroves like this.
  6. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Not every loss is a choke

7. cotton

I saw a mock draft today that had Grant 1st round, somewhere in the 20s. If he gets a legit grade in the 1st, he should go. It's a weak assed draft.

On Bone, I think you guys are confusing college player with NBA prospect. I'm not sure scouts are going to value him as highly as the board seems to think.

Indy likes this.
  8. cotton

9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

IMO you have to take shit guys say during games with a grain of salt too. They have to talk for 2+ hours

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I would be stunned if Bone left. He's not going in the first round and that should be the one reason you leave school, as a sure fire first rounder, as, beyond this, you aren't guaranteed anything. Bone went to Ensworth, too, so I'm guessing school isn't a major problem for him, either, as a reason to leave. Williams, I don't know. If he goes in the first round, he should probably go, but he's also not a regular type of high level player. He's really damn smart, studious and doesn't need to get to the next level to support a struggling family. I'd say he's 50-50.

Now, just to add, we aren't just getting 3 star talent anymore which we need to build up. We have a 5 star stud coming next year and another one the year after. We should be fine, talent-wise. My only concern has been how much need we will have to rely on guys who haven't exactly been high production thus far in their career, like Pons, Walker and Johnson. Hell, Fulkerson concerns me as a primary player as opposed to a role player. We should have some good teams, though, in the next few years.

11. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

I don't see us avoiding Purdue or Virginia. Virginia's eighth of the bracket is probably the wimpiest (other than them.)

12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Better talent beats inferior talent more often, and more consistently, than not.

13. Tar Volon

I actually think Bone’s skills translate better to the NBA than anyone else on the team. Grant is really, really good at stuff that NBA teams just don’t value like they used to. If he can extend his jump shot, he can carve out a career, but he’s not going to make a living posting up NBA 4s.

Bone, on the other hand, is freakishly quick, has a good shot, is a good passer, and generally makes good decisions. Those things translate a lot better than the post-up game. The thing with Bone is that he’s just broken out this season. People have known about Grant for a while, but Bone put in his performances against Kentucky and people were finding out about him for the first time. If he carries us on his back to the Final Four, he may get some real NBA attention, but if not, he’s going to have to come back to college and do it another year.

On the negative side, I just looked up Marcus Paige and he’s playing in Serbia. He had a lot of those same strengths that Bone has, so there’s a counterpoint to my argument.

Either way, I think Bone stays and I think Grant should probably stay.

A-Smith likes this.
  14. Tenacious D

Look, I get that you’re new here, so I’m just going to let you know that I’m a site mod, and that it’s pretty poor form to contradict me.

Particularly with sound logic, cogent reasoning and citing provably true facts.

Everyone agrees. So, heads up.

15. Tenacious D

Be less stupider.

16. Tenacious D

Can someone tell me what in the hell all of this talk about “chalk” is supposed to mean?

Poppa T likes this.
  17. Tar Volon

I think a lot depends on Burns. If he can slide into the starting lineup and replace Alexander, we can have Fulkerson come off the bench like he did this year, play a little smaller with Admiral swapped out for a guard and continue to play at a high level.

If Fulkerson is all we’ve got inside, we’re in trouble.

18. Tar Volon

Chalk means the favorites winning. It’s a gambling term, not sure specifically where it came from

19. Poppa T

Poppa T Vol Geezer

In the days before the interwebz, bookies' backrooms had chalkboards they would use to list matches with odds. They could change odds, etc. as money came in.

Yeah, I'm old.

TBSVOL, justingroves and A-Smith like this.
  20. cotton

Trying.