NCAA Tournament - Tennessee Vols

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by Unimane, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

So, to begin our NCAA tourney quest with this team, let's discuss where we will be in the brackets tonight. I'm guessing a #2 seed in the South, opposite North Carolina. The #3 seed will be very interesting, I'm hoping no Houston.

This team, for however much they have done well, frustrates the shit out of me because of their defensive lapses and letdowns in a lot of the bigger moments. I truly don't know what to expect from them going forward.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

No further than a sweet 16, in my opinion

Tenacious D likes this.
  3. Dalekanium

Dalekanium Chieftain

They have Final Four potential and also possess the ability to go out in the round of 32. I can’t predict a thing about what’s going to happen. It’s going to be a 2 seed. The rest is up in the air.

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Anything but the 2 in the West. East or South preferred, but Midwest would be fine with the right match ups.

I think we will bounce back just fine. I like us to get to the 2nd weekend, and from there, it’s all about match ups.

5. Unimane

Also, to be honest, I don't trust Rick Barnes in the post season. He hasn't seen the Sweet 16 since 2008. Today didn't help counter that estimation, either.

TDVol1989, utvol0427 and Indy like this.
  6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

There seems to be something to the “wearing his teams down” school of thought. Yesterday was pure emotion

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Do you place blame on him for today though? I don’t see how you can, outside of just saying he wasn’t able to get them to reset after the big win. But it’s hard to say how much of that is on him.

8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

He never adjusted to pearls plan of driving to open up the corner three

9. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

Are we a lock on the #2? The question just being the region?

I think a 1 is out of the question given the beatdown we just took. And no way we are a 3, right?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

He was quoted as telling them to "enjoy" today. That struck me as odd and that was before the game. I would think you'd want to express the urgency of the moment...

But in the end, it is up to the players to know the stage.

11. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

A 1 would be a surprise. A 3 would be a con job.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

Don't see how we could go to a 3.

13. 2Maggitt2Quit

2Maggitt2Quit Chieftain

Snap and clear boys.

14. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I like the way you handle your business in Ws and Ls.

15. Unimane

We'll be a #2. I have zero doubt. I just don't want to see Duke in our region as that type of athleticism is a huge problem for us.

16. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

The draw is always important. This team has played well enough at times to get to the F4 and poorly enough to get beat before the Sweet 16.
    Can you get by the one game where it just doesnt go right.

If UT falls short of the final 8 I think the story will be the 5 position. They dont need great stats from that position but if we re having to lean on Grant and Schofield to play the 4 and 5 it wont last long.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

[uck fay] that. I paid $150 to watch a team quit. I’m giung to get my moneys worth

utvol0427 likes this.
  18. RevBubbaFlavel

RevBubbaFlavel Contributor

I guess there is still a chance at a #1?
    Going in to today I thought a win ensures a #1. But even a loss could still result in us being #1. Just that we got destroyed, but not sure how they look at those things.

For example, I heard someone this week say that the committee doesnt consider much at all from the Sunday championship.

19. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

UT just made it easy for them to grab the 3 ACC teams and MSU if they want to create a buzz. If not, it ll be the 3 ACC teams and the Zags.

Lot less worried about the 1 or 2 seed and more about the lack of everything today.

The top seeds 1s and 2s are gonna be the same group you re gotta go thru them to get anywhere.

20. Unimane

Teams I don't want to see in our bracket:

#1 - Duke

#3 - Texas Tech, Houston and maybe even Florida State with their size (Losing out on a #1, I think, is very big as there is a huge difference in the 3 and 4 seeds this year.)

Lower seeds from the 7-10 matchup - Wofford, Cincinnati, Nevada, Syracuse

Teams I would prefer to see:

#1 - North Carolina, Gonzaga

#3 - Maybe Michigan if they fell there. Like I said, I'm not too excited about any of the potential 3 seeds.

7-10 - Happy to see a Utah State or a middling Big Ten squad.