Netflix Streaming Recommendations/TV Talk

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Tenacious D, Aug 31, 2011.

1. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Shit didn't think about that angle. That is probably what happens.

2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Greg getting it would end the show perfectly.

Volsdude likes this.
  3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Did a binge watch on Succession this past week and am coming up on the final episode. It is, obviously, a great show, but there's something hard to enjoy about not having any redeeming characters in a show. Perhaps Rava was the only one remotely human in the whole show, Willa, as well. I even hated Greg from pretty early as his selfishness showed as brightly as anyone, though less competent (and often funny), and ball washing Tom, despite his periodic injections of true humanity later in the series as he tells Shiv who she really is. Perhaps it's some kind of class consciousness hate watching wealthy brats constantly fear impending "disasters' of having to cash out their business for billions in personal wealth while they fire people with mortgages and children like mere dust under their fingers, but a visceral anger developed for me regarding these born on third folks and their step and fetch minions. Those kids. to be fair, probably never had much of a chance with those parents. But, they are still so hateable.

My favorite part is watching Kendall do the "Please don't break up with me....ok, well, [uck fay] you anyway and you're ugly and stupid" rejected teenage boy dance every time someone delivered bad news to him, like Jess quitting. I couldn't decide if I despised him the most among the three main siblings (Poor delusional Connor, as in the show, doesn't really count here. Alan Ruck got more respect as Cameron Frye.), but kind of settled on Roman with his irreverent, cool rich boy act. He was, clearly, damaged by abuse as a child by his dad, but the ripping of the million dollar check in the poor immigrant kid's face from the first episode always put him on the fast track to #1. He's also the type who tells everyone to grow some balls about the "real world" when moral issues arise, but cries like a little [itch bay] when he doesn't get what he wants. His indifference on the state of the country from his callousness on election night simply because one guy was personally beneficial to making his spoiled rich ass more rich tips the scales in favor of Roman just slightly above manic egomaniac Kendall and conniving, narcissistic sociopath Shiv. Logan is a monster, but at least I'm never left to pretend he's good in any way. So, I guess he gets off the hook a little bit.

This leaves one episode to go. I'm really, really hoping for a Fight Club ending or maybe even just a Godfather III type. Still, great show.

4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Logan's brother is an interesting character as well.

5. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I am now sad, as Ted Lasso has come to an end. But I am glad they did end it now, and not try to just add a bunch of worse and worse seasons on to it.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I haven’t watched the finale yet but yeah, even as I have enjoyed S3 it does seemed to have dipped a bit, and too many tv shows haven’t known when to pull the plug

7. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

show surprisingly tugged at emotions more than expected. I’m a softie.

SetVol13 and NorrisAlan like this.
  8. NorrisAlan

I'm a big ole wet softie. I cry at movies a lot more easily than I care to admit.

9. Ssmiff

whoah whoah whoah. I was kidding. Geez grow a pair..

10. NorrisAlan

I am not kidding. But I am man enough to admit it and be ok with it.

/grabs tissue

11. Unimane

His funeral speech may have been the most interesting scene in the entire show, incredibly written with amazing depth, helped by the fact Crowell is an astonishingly good actor. The uncle teetered between righteous and sanctimonious, but he did have a code to live by, which was more than could be said for his brother and grandson.

zehr27 likes this.
  12. Unimane

The finale was an excellent way to end the show in a manner which fit the tenor of the series. In the end, the three pit viper children would commit fratricide and perpetual [penis] sucker Tom would ingratiate himself to the latest megalomaniac, the creepy Swede, looking for a yes man to run "his vision". In the end, the best would've been to throw all the blood sucking plutocrats from the top of the Empire State Building, but I enjoyed the fact these people are such shitty individuals they can't find happiness in the fact they are wealthy beyond measure and can live any life they choose (except the one they feel entitled to live). I can very easily guarantee I would live a life of a pig in shit with 5% of what they received.

13. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

That speech definitely filled in some blanks for me. It was a well put together seen. Imo

14. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Kendall had me fooled a bit. He has the best business sense of the group and at times almost seemed like he wanted to do the right things and change directions. The last seen proved he was just like the other 2 and probably worse all along.

Last edited: May 31, 2023
  15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

They shoot that all in one take too. Same with Connor’s wedding on the boat. They shot it all in one take as well. They talked about how they pull it off after one of the episodes this season.

16. Ssmiff

Pence saying he’s running kinda reminded me of Conner throwing his hat in.

17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

That's crazy. It's a shame the show had to end, so well written and directed.

18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Connor is more like Robert Kennedy jr. running

19. Ssmiff

just so bland.

20. Ssmiff

Saw this. And introducing my son to East Bound and Down while travelling this week. Can’t wait to rewatch and catch the one liners I missed while processing the one liner right before when I watched the first time years ago.