Northwestern players starting a players union

Discussion in 'Sports' started by droski, Jan 28, 2014.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

NCAA, ask not for whom the bell tolls.

It tolls for thee.

3. rockytopblues

rockytopblues Member

Wouldn't being a member of a labor union forfeit their amateur status somehow?

I really don't know, but that's the first thing that popped into my head.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I don't see why it would. The union is not paying them to play or giving them extra benefits. I think it would be no different than being part of the chess club. But someone more savvy than I can answer it with more authority.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I'm sure the NCAA could argue that. I don't know if it's a winnable argument in court given the fact that the players are already paid with a full scholarship and moderate expenses. The TAs at my school were unionized and they basically received the same benefits as athletes i.e. free tuition, room and board, and a small stipend.

6. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i'd guess the question would be if they are really employees of the university and therefore eligible to unionize. obviously if they aren't employees joining the "chess club" wouldn't end up really helping the athletes. i'm sure some of the lawyers here would have better insights than I though.

7. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

9. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Me too

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you wonder if unionizing to get these things was the best strategy. surely it will be seen as the tip of the iceberg request wise by the ncaa. and that may not be an unreasonable assumption by the ncaa. surely if they came out and asked for an extra $100K a year people would react more negatively. baby steps. i'm generally anti union, but given the fact that the ncaa is not a free market association by any stretch i'm inclined to tell them to pound sand.

11. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

There's no way the schools provide long term medical care without a figurative gun to their heads.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

And why would they give carte Blanche to skip games , play no d, make no effort, never improve and overcharge?

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Huh?

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Why would the school let them when the product will go to complete crap.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

The medical coverage for sports injuries after their career is up is a time bomb, sure. Wanting a 5th year of scholarship specifically for those interested in grad school isn't that much.

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Unions suck balls, but any leverage against the AA makes me happy.

17. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the NFL and NBA are unionized. The product is alright for them.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

I guess we need a new name. I feel like there is more a reaction against the word and some existing examples than what they are.

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Crap relative to pre union.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

A fifth year for even non-redshirts is also within the spirit of what the NCAA is allegedly about. Remember that term "scholar-athletes?"