Northwestern players starting a players union

Discussion in 'Sports' started by droski, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Not really the majority of injuries occur during practice

2. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

If they end up unionized, who is going to pay the legal fees to represent them in cba negotiations? Will the players have to pay dues or will they get someone from the lacrosse team that is pre-law?

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

i bet that insurance cost less than $100 a year. perhaps the schools can buy it for the players.

4. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

This case...

[video=youtube;H8OxKx6zKkQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8OxKx6zKkQ[/video]

5. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

If they pulled the plug on all sports, it would probably be a wash. I don't see Northwestern athletics giving a ton of money back to the school. And in approximately zero instances the phrase "I'd like to attend Northwestern because of their sweet sweet athletic teams" has been uttered.

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I picture a time when scholarships are taken away, and they are just paid flat out money. Should help get around Title IX and all the other non-revenue sports, perhaps. But, I am no lawyer.

Thank goodness.

7. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

You're dismissing the Flutie Effect. When you're competing for the kind of students Northwestern wants, every little bit helps. Having Ohio State coming to your campus is a fair bit more exciting than hosting Lafayette.

8. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

So? Why do these fossils in charge of universities think that is a threat? I don't give a damn if the whole shitty system goes the way of the dinosaur. Something will replace it and sports won't miss a beat. The University of Tennessee Volunteers simply become the Knoxville Volunteers, minor league affiliates of the NFL and NBA teams of their choice. Then, there's no more sanctimonious "student-athlete" nonsense camouflaging a cash grab by old white men. Burn the motherf*cker down.

9. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'd be more in favor of some kind of revenue sharing, if it came to this, than a minor league system. For all its flaws, the scholarship system still affords thousands of kids to improve their lives through attending college than they otherwise would. I still think that the scholarship is still a pretty damn good deal as to how it's set up currently, although I do understand and sympathize with the sentiment that a few white haired fat cats are taking a disproportionate share of the pot.

10. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Scholarships are a handout. Make athletes pay their own way & for the privilege of representing old white rich men's universities.

11. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

You are killing it this evening, Jay.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I bet you pulled that number out of thin air and are dead wrong.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I actually have an insurance license, so no not out of thin air. You have any idea what the chances are of a college player being permanently disabled from football? Let's put it this way I can buy $1 million of life insurance for a 20 year old for $150 a year.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

permanently disabled... Will that cover concussion complications in 20 years? Bad joints in 20 to 30 years? No? Right.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

No insurance covers that. "Bad joints" can be pretty subjective.

16. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

That's not remotely what's being covered.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Right. Death is being covered. Loss of limb function. Everything else would be fought.

18. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Silliness again. It's an income replacement policy in the event that athletics injury precludes it. Your point isn't getting better.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Generally it means you can't work. Plenty of people have back pain and what not and live normal lives.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

How much income does your average Northwestern starter lose out on with a permanent injury? Make my point for me.