Northwestern players starting a players union

Discussion in 'Sports' started by droski, Jan 28, 2014.

1. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

All the anti-union 8th members' heads are about to explode.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I bet not. It's such a specialty that nobody cares, much like pro athletes. Those guys have such specialized skill and rate talent that they should absolutely wield power in job process. An electrician, not so much.

3. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

That's a product of expansion, not unionization.

4. hatvol96

You should wield as much power in the employment process as the market allows. If electricians are so easily replaceable, they won't have any leverage.

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

They're irreplaceable as long as a picket line shows up.

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

That's fair, but extreme specialization makes union sensible. UAW is worthless garbage.

7. hatvol96

So, businesses can merge and pool resources and people can't? Makes perfect sense.

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Who said they can't? I didn't remotely say that. Just pointed out that power isn't necessarily relative to value.

People can do as they please. Businesses should have every right to shove their asses out the door, but don't have the right over govt intervention.

9. hatvol96

Don't like unions, don't sign on with them. If the skill sets they provide are so easily acquired, finding non union replacements should be easy.

10. hatvol96

If you have little value, why would anyone allow you to exert any power over them?

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I don't have a problems with unions when the employer is already a monopoly and by no means a free market industry. See nba, nfl, mlb, NCAA.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Which is exactly why I think this doesn't end with disability benefits and a year of grad school.

13. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

As Hat has said, skill is a free market commodity. To ride his coattails, why does business put up with these unwashed masses with no skill set?

14. Volguy1971

Volguy1971 Sith Lord

If they want to unionize, it is within their right to do so. But it goes both ways, the NW can also pull their scholarships as well. They are generally a year to year process.

15. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Well the NCAA will win on that or will die trying. The term "student-athlete" was invented for the sole purpose of avoiding having to pay for such injuries. And it sounds to me like CTE fits nicely under that umbrella as well. So in essence they're just asking for a lifelong pension. Seems reasonable.

16. kidbourbon

The NCAA is an employer to the players, huh? That was really subtle there how you assumed your conclusion.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

That is absolutely true.

18. kidbourbon

Zackly

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

But if they are willing to "compromise" on a 5th year scholarship for non RS players who want to go to grad school, they still come out ahead. And it paves the way for better compensation later.

20. kidbourbon

I have no problem with that. But the day that schools are on the hook for long-term medical bills is the same day that college athletics simply ends.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014