POLITICS NY Republican Congressman Indicted for Securities Fraud

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by emainvol, Aug 8, 2018.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think he'd ask what is on the dollar bill, and to render it to them... since that's what he did in the book. Not that I think that invalidates your sentiment.

You're right that the government isn't holy. I don't want to derail things, but I don't think promoting the social welfare is about holiness, or even giving being about holiness, or that holiness is even a thing beyond a feeling people get when they do something good for something bigger than themselves...

2. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

It is as if as down as they are they don't want to take advantage of or abuse your generosity.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, and at the same time they can't keep it together long enough to truly get out of the ditch. Worked with a guy who was homeless, got the job I was at, did well for a year, then crawled back in the bottle because of something very minor and lost it all again.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Amen.

And if giving money is the hangup in the deal, there's ways to remedy that.

Hey church, I have a sick family member in the next state but don't have gas money.
    -I'm so sorry this is happening. I will pray for you and your family, but let's go to the gas station and fill your tank so you can go to them. God bless.

Hey church, I have a 3 month-old that has to have special baby formula, but we can't afford it.
    - I understand your worry. Jesus said to let the little children come to Him without standing in their way because the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to ones like them. Let me get my coat, then follow me to the grocery store. We'll get some formula and while we're there, I want you to pick up some milk, bread, sandwich meat, canned food, crackers, and peanut butter for you and the rest of you family. God bless.

5. JayVols

People are generally good. We all are products of our experiences often with little/no influence of our own.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Someone once told me "praise jesus, God bless you," after I put some money on their metro card because they were out and couldn't get home. Without thinking, I said "I think we are on our own." He didn't like that, gave me a pretty sideways stare, haha. I scooted on my way.

7. JayVols

I think one of our worst national shames is the fact that far far too many veterans are left to rot in the streets because they are having issues dealing with the situations we, as a country, sent them to deal with. We honor them during their service, use them up, give them a welcome home parade, then cast them aside when they've been used up & have served the purpose our nation charged them with.

And Vietnam vets didn't even get a brief going through the motions because it looks good acts of gratitude for their service.

This infuriates me to my core. It is an unforgivable sin to me.

RockyHill likes this.
  8. JayVols

Haha

You heathen....

9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Veterans or not, it's a mental illness issue and we pretend like it's a lucid, reasoned choice they are making

10. JayVols

You're right. Thankfully, it is becoming more accepted that mental illness is really a disease that requires treatment just like a physical illness. We're no where near where we need to be, but at least there's movement in a positive direction.

I didn't agree with Reagan on many things, but I didn't hate him. The blackest stain of his presidency isn't Iran-Contra. It's how he decimated mental health facilities/treatment in the country.

11. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Your heart is in the right place, but I would still check with some of the shelters in the area. I was specifically told by a very, very giving person that you should never give a homeless person money in Memphis. They have things set up for them and would just use that money on something they don't need and most likely on something destructive. So yeah, I bought a few bucks worth of Wendy's from time to time, but I quit handing out money while I lived there.

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I agree that cash is probably hurtful as often as helpful for street beggars

NorrisAlan and JayVols like this.
  13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Tough spot, because a lot of them have worked out the story that basically makes you a heartless ass if you don't help out.

IP and JayVols like this.
  14. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

Collins suspending his reelection campaign

15. JayVols

Bye, Felicia.

16. smokysbark

smokysbark Chieftain

Was at the gas station this morning and some dude came up talking about needing gas and not having any money. I told him all the cash I had was a 10 dollar bill but he was welcome to it and gave it to him. I go to start the pump and then go inside to get some stuff. He's at the register with a 12 pack. Dude turns around and looks at me all wide eyed ... I just laughed and said 'bro, life sucks. Go ahead and get drunk.' Ha.

fl0at_ likes this.