Obama and His Accomplishments

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Mar 9, 2012.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

if my white collar workers are worth more money in reality and my executives are worth less then i'm running a very inneffective business model that will surely effect me negatively long term when my competitors take advantage. fact remains that white collar workers in this country are not even remotely underpaid. someone overseas is willing to do their job and many times do it better for half or less of their wage. the US middle class is just not competitive internationally. the reason the rich are getting richer is because their jobs aren't outsourcable. i.e. they are worth more to the corporation. there isn't some sort of consipiracy to screw white collar workers. the economy has changed and some people haven't noticed. notice no one is complaining about stagnant plummer and car mechanic wages, only manufacturing.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

John McCain is roundly respected by both sides of the aisle and he's been a terrific Senator. He wasn't a great presidential candidate, but it's an absolute, complete joke to compare him to Santorum in any way.

3. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Oh, give me a [uck fay]ing break. Look, I'm a big boy and can handle debate and criticism, which is why I'm on this board. But, spare me this hypocritical rant. If you bothered to go through even just this thread, I get the same type of "you don't know shit" responses that you criticize me for. I've never mentioned being a teacher as making me more qualified for anything. I did respond to hat that I know more about history than he does after he attacked me. The comment about this board as being conservative was in response to someone stating, essentially, no one agreed with me and I made the obvious statement about it being a sports board in a very conservative area of the country, so I wasn't surprised. I even threw the Lilith Fair stuff for some levity. I thought it was a little bit funny.

Besides, why would I deign to post on a board that I felt was inhabited by a bunch of ignorant rubes? That makes no sense. I have better things to do than tell people how much smarter I am than them, if that's what I were in fact, doing. I mean, I'm not posting on any Alabama boards......

So, spare me the bullshit, especially when this whole post is chalked full of people doing the same to me as you accuse me of doing. I can handle the criticisms of my viewpoints, but I'm not going for the sanctimony.

4. Unimane

I greatly respect John McCain and I'm a......wait, I'm not supposed to say what I am. Anyway, yes, McCain is someone I hold in high regard for his experiences and principles. Santorum's just an idiot.

5. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I dunno Unimane, first couple of sentences of the first post seemed pretty disparaging toward the state of Tennessee. Perhaps that's a miscommunication, but it seemed to pretty well define the populace as close-minded.

6. Unimane

Why? I said that I was not shocked that I found that my politics were not exactly in favor on a sports board in a very conservative state. What was condescending about that?

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

You implied that the state of Tn is not accepting of divergent views. Do you not agree that is implied? I can see why others wouldn't want to start a debate off on that note.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I lived in the liberal mecca of san francisco. I've never seen a place more intollerant of discenting views.

9. Unimane

Ok, I did say that about East Tennessee (as a whole, not 100%, obviously) and I still stand by that statement. It's a conservative cauldron, although it's not representative of the entire state. Living in Knoxville for 20 years, I've gotten a lot (a LOT)of "liberals are evil" bullshit. And, to be fair, I do agree with Droski about San Francisco, even if I think they are mostly right.

10. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

If you think Knoxville is overly conservative, your head would explode if you were to live in the TriCities area. It's a neo conservative hell. (Just to clarify, I don't like the positions of far right OR far left politics.)

11. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Knoxville's San Fransiscoesque compared to where I'm from.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I laughed but I know where you're coming from because the same is true about where I'm from too

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Volnation?

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Back to the debate at hand: can one of you espousing demand as the driver of all things economic work me through the growth of economies in Asia. Hell, walk me through ours. It's not that hard to start with the railroad barons, or land barons or any of them. Then we can begin working on GDP as it relates to this demand you've thrown us. We are a consumer driven economy and has that sector fallen apart? What gives? Why is the economy universally seen as in the tank?

The argument about demand seems silly when it has remained steady, yet the greater economy has been hammered. You might have an argument with this income disparity silliness if you could point to some real income dips in sectors. How about some indicator that financial QoL is being hammered in America?

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

You're going to have to hold my hand and walk me through why what I said is somehow exclusive of needing capital for founding a store or whatever. I'm not seeing where I said anything one way or another about the need for capital.

Also, Russia has tons of capital and a pretty well-developed upper class. So then why are they a thrid world country, since they have the capital?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

I never said that.

17. Unimane

Actually, I said that consumers were the actual job creators and drives the economy, demand is simply a component of that. THe demand argument was merely one of the 50 tangents this thread took, but that was the original point. I still haven't seen anything that counters the idea that a consumer class that lacks capital is the primary reason for economic distress. Apple can have as much investment and capital poured into it, it will mean nothing.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I haven't seen anything to indicate the wealthy being wealthy has a negative effect on the consuming ability of the lower classes.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you still haven't explained why the rich are getting rich on the backs of the working class.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

well, you argued that everyone can see Unimane's point but is ignoring it. That isn't true. I flat out don't agree with his point. Demand exists everywhere at some level, but very few are poised to take advantage of that demand, be the problem systemic, financial or operational.

Russia is a craphole devoid of any trust in the economy so it's rife with gangsters and hucksters as the wealthy. It's a perfect example of the void of investment capital and structure keeping everyone broke.