Obama and His Accomplishments

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Mar 9, 2012.

1. 615 Vol

615 Vol Chieftain

Between Santorum and Romney, it's not looking better this time around either.

Maybe it's the information world we live in now where everything is available 24/7 on cable news and the internet but it doesn't seem possible to elect a decent person for President anymore. You have to sellout to someone and be a shady character to even make it to that level of politics it seems.

2. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

None of which force them to purchase a [dadgum] thing. One can opt out of each and every one of those regualtions by closing a business, not driving, etc.

3. hatvol96

"The race card is pulled?" You mean like acting as if Hispanic voters are some mindless monolith?

4. hatvol96

1976 says you should have at least a rudimentary grasp of the truth before you make patently false statements.

5. hatvol96

Depending on which political science model one uses to define the "South," the tally in the 1996 presidential election was either 64-59 Dole, 51-51, or 64-64. I'm pretty sure the current president would give years off his life for that level of performance in the region during this go around.

6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Both are better than Mcain.

7. hatvol96

I have to disagree. Sanitarium has no more business being president than Pat Buchanan or Dennis Kucinic. He's a [uck fay]ing loon.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

You said they did.

9. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I can honestly say that may be the only time I have ever or will ever see santorum or kucinich compared in any way.

Kucinich also just got his butt handed to him in the primary too.

10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The last gasp of Southern Democrats voting for a southern governor and the repudiation of the Republicans for Watergate does not belie the fact that the region had been solidly Republican since Johnson uttered "We've lost the South.." by signing the Civil Rights Bill. I know what the [uck fay] I'm talking about here as you are treading on my area of professional expertise. Don't trot out some outlier and think it's some kind of fact. The only way the Democrats even make a semblance of challenge in the south has been with southern governors. You should have rudimentary grasp of Lee Atwater and the Southern Strategy before making patently false statements if you want to cling to your bullshit characterization.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  11. Unimane

A southern governor who didn't even win most of the south and that compared to a black guy named Obama where southern white males voted at a rate of 20 points less than the average for the Democratic candidate? Do tell more.

12. Unimane

You mean like Janet Napolitano or Bill Richardson? But, yes, Obama's numbers are terrible among Hispanics and they overwhelmingly love the Arizona law. You must not be familiar with the dialogue in the Hispanic community. And, the southwest is trending Democratic, which is a fact. Old retirees are a dwindling population in comparison with more Democrat-friendly demographics.

Hell, while we're at it, the Republicans are also going to have to address the trending Democratic states of North Carolina and Virginia.

13. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I said that his race was the primary reason, but not the only one. Go back and re-read it.

And why would his race only bring out record numbers of "African-Americans" and not just "voters", instead? So are to saying that black people only showed up to vote for him because he was black (that makes me right), or did you simply note it because because of the assumption tat it would take a black candidate to get black people to the polls (that makes you racist, and I'm still right)?

Not that I don't enjoy this - you really are adorable - but let me just simply and plainly ask this (so as to prevent your further confusion): Would Barack Obama have been elected as a white conservative candidate, or not? Yes or no.

Now, if I had said, "white, conservative....and with [breasts]" we'd all know the answer to that one - but it's also the only three things which separate Obama from Palin, to many.

14. Unimane

You forgot a brain, which is what truly separates them. And, you also forget the fact that as many people voted against him because he was black as voted for him, as demonstrated in a number of opinion polls.

But, yes, this is cute. You relying on the usual Republican spin without any merit to deny Obama any credit and me on facts and evidence. Very cute. And, yes, you said black and liberal, stop trying to reinvent your argument as it becomes more evident as bullshit as we go along. As far as your scenario, it doesn't make much sense. If Obama was a white, conservative woman would he win? What does that mean? So, it's just as much the fact that people liked his policies that got him elected as anything else? Is that what you are saying? I listed a multitude of factors that contributed to his election and could even throw in a real game changer in the election no one remembers and that is the endorsement of Colin Powell. So, your attempt to try and play off Obama's victory as some over simplistic accident of history has fallen flat on its face.

Sorry your attempt at smug condescension has turned out so badly for you.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Obama is way too liberal and unqualified to have been elected without some special circumstances helping him out. His race was a huge factor in him having such a fast rise. The Bush hate was a huge factor in people overlooking his uber liberal tendencies.

16. Unimane

Again, as many voted against him because of race as for him. If you want, I could link up some exit and opinion polls. The anti-Bush sentiment is valid, probably the most valid reason.

17. Unimane

Look, here are the real reasons Obama was elected, or at least the top ones.

1. Dissatisfaction with Bush (could be 1A as well)
    2. Obama's charisma and ability to connect with audiences
    3. The handling of the financial meltdown by the two candidates (Remember, McCain was seen as an impediment to the process)
    4. Probably the most well organized and well run campaign in political history by the Obama campaign crew
    5. The endorsement of Colin Powell
    6. The disaster of Sarah Palin

Again, the race factor is mitigated by both the anti- and pro- people cancelling each other out on that topic.

18. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

He isn't even a factor in the primaries if he is white.

19. Unimane

Debatable, but that's a far stretch from being elected in large part because he's black. Besides, he came to prominence for his dynamic performance in the 2004 convention, not because they needed to trot out a black dude.

20. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Also, I don't know what the exit polls show, but I have a hard time believing as many people voted against him solely for being black as did for him for being black.