Obama and His Accomplishments

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Mar 9, 2012.

1. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Thats the way shit should be handled. We need less government interference.

2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I'm fairly certain capitalist america will be dead soon enough and thats [uck fay]ing sad.

3. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm a teacher, and I have no clue how any one could favor our welfare system, after working in a public school in a poor area.

I teach at a school that has 90 percent free and reduced meals, and you wouldn't believe the amount Iphones that we have to take from our students.

4. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Know what you mean 75. I sign papers on my 4th vacation home next week. I've been struggling on whether to buy such a small home or not. 8,000 square ft located in Maui.

5. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

Justin, as a pastor we do as much as we can. We have people all the time come and want help, we are a small church. We give what we can and have a bigger system with the local Baptist Association. As you know the April 27 tornados stretched us to the limit, but we did what ever we could do.

We have people that show up for gas money, when we offer to take them to the gas station down the road almost all of them decline. There was a man and woman working the area asking for a lot of help, if the church couldn't help them they would pull a pistol and rob that church. There are groups of people that go around and get things from the church then turn around and sell them or trade them. Not everybody that comes to a church for help actually needs it, but we in our church usually give any way, that way they have to explain it to God. We did what we were supposed to do.

6. JayVols

My father-in-law is an elder in our church. We help a lot of people, but he is very skeptical of folks that show up asking for stuff that we don't know from Adam. I am not saying that we need to not ask questions and just accept their story, but I told him that he shouldn't get so mad or drive himself crazy trying to determine if there is a legit need. I told him that if we help, we have fulfilled our responsibility to our fellow man. If it's a scam, we still have done the right thing as our motives were pure while the scammer will answer for their dishonesty.

7. justingroves

justingroves supermod

My gripe is more with the "mega" churches that flaunt how big they are and how much they do on overseas mission trips yet they can't take care of people in their own neighborhoods.

I've found the smaller the church, the better they take care of their community.

It takes a special kind of person to abuse a church's kindness.

8. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

An accomplishment likely to be treated by the Supreme Court in much the same manner the UMASS appearance in the Final Four was treated by the 'AA.

9. JayVols

JG, I am not saying this is fact. Purely my opinion/perception.

Large churches lack the intense interpersonal relationships as compared to smaller churches. In smaller churches, there are obviously fewer people to assume the responsibilities of the church, be it teaching, cleaning, outreach, benevolence, etc. The result is a close knit group that depends on one another to function. Large churches lack the closeness in smaller churches or that has been my experience. In a congregation of thousands, you can just be a face in the crowd. You show up sit through the sermon and leave. These type churches tend to hire people to take care of the things that smaller churches depend on volunteers to carry out. There is seemingly a lack of connection and individual responsibility in mega churches. I found them to be more about status and convenient anonymity for the congregation.

They want a newer bigger sanctuary. They want a bigger gymnasium
    or pool. They seem more concerned about entertainment, comfort and extravagence than rolling up.their sleeves and getting to work doing what the church is supposed to be doing: worshipping and sharing/showing God's love with their fellow man. Small churches tend to do this better. It's too easy to hide in a crowd and think that it's not my responsibility. You can't hide in a smaller church. Again, these are just my experiences and not necessarily intended to condemn all large churches.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  10. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Likely? No. Possibly? Yes. The health care plan has 4 locked in votes and will hinge on the decision of Kennedy.

11. hatvol96

The easiest Constitutional attack isn't the one before the Court this term. If the Supremes choose to ignore the founding principles of individual choice and self determination and uphold it now, they're going to have a much tougher time coming up with supporting rationale against the attack on 1st Amendment religious freedom grounds. Now or later, the health care legislation goes down.

12. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

I disagree. It won't be unanimous, by any stretch, but I don't think it makes it to Kennedy (alone), either.

The consequences of allowing it to stand, and the precedents that such would both set and erase, would be too great - even for the liberal / centrist Justices that you're likely already counting on.

There were about 10 other and better ways of accomplishing the goals, and this isn't one of them.

I could be wrong, but it might surprise you as to how quickly - and fully - this gets thrown out.

It might even be somewhere in the same ballpark as what they're going to do with the Administration's lawsuit against Arizona, but not quite (that one's going to be spectacular).

13. Unimane

The religious freedom one by the Catholics is pretty specious and the arrangements made for the Catholic Church should allow the law to circumvent any of those issues. If only Obama were a Constitutional Law expert.

14. hatvol96

Won't have anything to do with the Catholic church. It'll come from the more primative religious sects whose doctrines don't allow for any medical treatment. Pretty hard to make the argument you can force them to purchase something for individual use that they cannot or will not use.

I think we'll have a real good look at Obama's constitutional brilliance when his attack on Arizona and the all challenges to the health care legislation have passed through the halls of the Supreme Court.

15. Unimane

Really? The Arizona suit seems to be a clear violation of duties assigned by the Constitution to the federal government, much less the issues of racial profiling. That seems to be an easier go of it for the Obama administration that the health care lawsuits.

16. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

And all of this sucks ass. But it also doesn't change the unconstitutional nature of the individual mandate.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Well you pretty much nailed how I feel. I agree with everything you said.

18. Unimane

Just to further add this on the health care debate, all these potential pitfalls just reminds me of why I wish this were simply a universal health care program and be done with it. Obviously, the administration went for what it could and this health care program's one great fault is that it was largely written by the health care industry.

19. hatvol96

The suit against Arizona is overreaching. The feds reaction goes beyond merely preserving the distinction between shared and solely federal powers. When you start attempting to put prior restraints on how a state deals with violation of law, be it state or federal, you're on questionable ground. Arizona, mainly because their governor is an idiot and they listen to an insane sheriff, misplayed this, as well. They should have simply passed legislation making it illegal to, for example, make a purchase of gasoline in the state if you are not legally therein. Then, you can ask everyone for ID at the point of sale. No profiling issues, no federalism concerns. If the residents really want to fight illegal entry into the country, they'd accept the inconvenience.

20. hatvol96

Exactly. The plan's proponents have spent so much time defending the macro portions of the legislation that they've lost sight of the fact it forces individuals into a system against their will.