obama basically saying the rich got that way through luck or handouts

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by droski, Jul 16, 2012.

1. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Saw a news story this week that there is a shortage of Welders. 6 weeks of training and good money.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Who in this thread is arguing with you on that?

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

My brother was a welder. Isn't that good of money. He joined the marines.

4. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

AEA is powerful in Alabama. Haven't paid that much attention in Georgia like I have in Alabama. I now in Georgia that they have more than one teachers union.

5. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Jewy

6. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

No I am not. Didn't I say I agree with that? I think however Teachers should be paid more or have less responsibility.

7. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

A lot of the professions you just mentioned people are fighting to get work doing. I do not know about some of them you may be right. My point is we cannot go both ways in this economy i.e NAfta and Free trade shipping vocational type jobs over seas and then claiming we are going to dominate higher wage or professional jobs but then cut funding to the education required to achieve such positions. One or other has to change.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There isn't a shortage of applicants for those high wage and professional jobs, either.

9. Jewbaccah

Jewbaccah New Member

The amount depends on what you want. Are we going with the everyone goes to college model or dual roads?

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Duel roads

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Swords or pistols?

12. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Light Sabers

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Doesn't sound low tax friendly.

14. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

I am not a low tax guy. I am a "Fair Tax" guy.

15. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

These jobs pay better than mine....by a long shot. One of my best buds has an associate's in chemistry. He makes $15k-$20k more than I do as a lab tech for Eastman. Skilled labor like mentioned here is a dying art. It's unfortunate because it pays very well, is in high demand (especially for youngsters that can cross train like electrician with IT skills), and it's an area that we are competitive to ahead of foreign labor in certified technicians. It's not feasible to outsource skilled maintenance jobs. I blame the constant drone of pounding a 4 year degree in kids' heads for the decline. You can start work sooner while not incurring a heavy financial burden as a bachelor's. I have been screaming for a true vocational high school tract where English, math, science, or any other subject is geared toward what they need for that job. I would also push for a heavy emphasis on apprenticeships. Kids are learning and making a little money at the same time. This will require businesses to step up. They constantly [itch bay] about kids not having the skills they need. Here's their chance to train them like they want them. Use some of the money the state would spend on them if they were in the classroom to help offset businesses' cost of the apprenticeships. The days of a liberal arts education for everyone is long over. Whith the way society is today, that doesn't work anymore. If a kid isn't interested, they tend to cause problems in discipline which interferes with others' riggt to learn. This solves the issues. The kid picks what their interested in. They see what they are learning is relevant to what they will be doing while earning some cash. Would relive many problems in schools today. Unfortunately, I don't have a doctorate degree in education or child psychology and I have actually spent considerable time in the trenches that allows me to actually know what does and doesn't work. No way they would listen to anyone like me on how to address the situation.

16. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Dang. I need to move to GA. Our Director makes $70k-$80k.

17. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

What does the Mayor make?

18. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

You are right. Thats what Mercedes is doing, begging Alabama education department to have more vocational schools to train their work force.

I found out in a hurry about college profs, when working on my masters, the main teacher that I had for the majority of my classes had only taught 1 year in a SPED class while working on his doctorate degree. He didn't have a clue as to what really went on in a K-12 setting.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Please show me how one could equal the revenue gained under the current system without murdering the lower-middle class. The Fair tax is a backdoor low tax/small government move.

20. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

You have not read the book.