Obama to ensure overtime for all

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by droski, May 17, 2016.

1. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

There's not really a way to replace people at my gig, so I'm just trying to make people be more systematic. Do everything this exact way every time. Then I'm the only one that usually has the freedom to do my own thing and diverge. That way there theoretically should be zero mistakes, outside of my own. But everyone is so used to things being a disorganized mess that it's hard to get them adhering to systems.

2. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

You're juat a joke on this and the healthcare topic. It's all about more govt to help. Move to Europe. That will be my fault too and I'll take full blame. Get your begging for US defense shoes on.

3. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I see it more as effecting recent college grad hiring. France started going down this road and now most of their recent college grads have part time jobs because the laws make people hiring people full time a pain. we area already starting to see this because of obamacare.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'm an American. As you know, Americans are entitled to free speech and putting forth ideas. If you don't like that, you can move. We're part of a society, and everyone does better when we aren't leaving some behind. I'm not interested in spiraling into feudalism, I'm interested in a robust middle class.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

we have a robust middle class.

6. justingroves

justingroves supermod

This is all true

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

Not as robust as I'd like, and I'd like it to stay around. It's certainly in jeopardy.

8. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Automating jobs will kill it

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It's not in jeopardy. But I do wish we could end the cronyism and bullshit that keeps more from going into enterprise on their own.

10. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think lack of desire and fear of no pay keeps most people from even attempting their own business. Not saying cronyism is not a problem, mind you.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

increases in technology have been a net positive for the middle class every time in American history. so I disagree with your premise. we already have a more skilled and educated populace than we did 30 years ago and that will only continue and those people will reap the rewards. what you are bemoaning is the small percentage of the population with no skills or education won't be rich which seems kind of silly.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I know a lot of people that have started to do it and then get tired of all of the red tape and hoops in place, which kills competition just like the larger players love

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

which is a completely rational fear. this is why I don't understand the outrage over things like ceo pay. they took the risk, they should get the rewards.

14. NorrisAlan

But does this guarantee it will continue moving forward?

15. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I just don't see that many young people that have jobs under the threshold that work significant over time.

16. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

People thinking CEO's lead some awesome and relaxing lifestyle is hilarious.

17. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

no. but what does guarantee that? we do know that every protectionist measure in American history has been a huge disaster. the global competition for unskilled and low skilled labor will continue in the future. not much we can do about that. the key is to get as many trained and skilled people as possible, not to cater to the people who are untrainable.

18. NorrisAlan

And it is generally the culmination of 25 years of sucking up, working your ass off, and what not. While I think some things like the golden parachute is ridiculous, their pay is most likely earned.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

probably not, but raise that threshold to $50k a year and you certainly will. I doubt this will remain statistic forever.

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

you are going to have bad and unwarranted outcomes in any system. in the end, the shareholders are making these decisions and they are private companies and are allowed to throw away money if they want to. we do not want situations where guys like zuckerberg, or steve jobs, say F it, it's not worth it.