Obamacare just committed suicide before the SCOTUS

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Mar 27, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Before we got married my wife had two pre-existing conditions, went to school full time, worked full time and made about 25K or less a year yet still found a way to find a plan she could afford.

I'm sorry, I look at numbers and I just have issues with all of this.

2. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

They did work with them, and they reduced the amount to an amount that they still could not afford. And, my point isn't that it's your responsibility to pay for them. My point was that there should be some way for people like them to get vital cancer treatment without losing everything they've got.

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Sure, but destroying the insurance companies by just allowing people to wait until they develop cancer to purchase coverage sure isn't the answer.

4. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

How long have you been married? How much have costs gone up since then. And, try getting a family plan when one person's unemployed and the other works for less than $8 per hour. Not real easy.

5. BearCat204

BearCat204 Chieftain

I agree with this point.......I think with a comparable healthcare plan gap coverage when people are legitimately laid off, would be something that should be implemented. Similar to coverage we can get when we retire that is very similar to our current healthcare coverage and at about the same price.

6. Oldvol75

Oldvol75 Super Bigfoot Guru Mod

but I'm not sure why people think they will necessarily have to pay for the uninsured.

I think you actually do understand!

7. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Thats why I think there should be some government option rather than imposing that on private insurance.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Just over 5 years.

You are right, it's not easy. I'm not saying it is.

9. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Exactly, these are people that have worked and had insurance 99.999% of their lives not welfare people scheming the system.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Not sure there is any practical way to do it. Like it or not a lot of medical treatment is crazy expensive and it just may not be feasible for 100% of us to have access to it.

The only thing I know for sure is any health program the government runs is going to suck.

11. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

when i was unemployed i bought a insurance plan from blue cross. if i went to the doctor for something minor it basically paid nothing. if i got hit by a car or got cancer it paid everything up to $5 mil total. I believe it cost around $40 a month. as for those with preexisting conditions every state already has preexisting plans for this. it's not cheap, but it's not going to bankrupt you either.

12. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

The people who have worked their whole lives and never taken handouts shouldn't be the ones excluded from access. Now, if they'd been lazy and done nothing, they would have been eligible for TennCare but were essentially penalized because they worked their whole lives. There is something fundamentally wrong with that.

13. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

That's basically what I've got now. I usually get sick around once a year and a get a checkup every now and then. I'm happy to pay that out of pocket. I think most young people that don't have chronic conditions should go that route.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2012
  14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Cobra already exists for people temporarily unemployed. they made the choice to not pay for insurance. medicaid already pays for families earning less than $30K a year. so if they couldn't qualify for medicaid it seems like they should be able to pay for some sort of inusrance.

15. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Might be able to get some handouts if the combined income is as low as you say.

16. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

they aren't excluded from access unless they have income or significant savings. and if they had that i'm not sure why they couldn't afford insurance temporarily.

17. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

They didn't qualify because they counted as yearly income when he had been employed previously. They were denied on a technicality, droski. It's easy to sit and pretend you know all about situations that you really don't.

18. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

They went to DHS and were told they didn't qualify. You're talking about a factory worker and a school cook. They're not sophisticated enough to know the intricacies of what they qualify for and what they don't.

19. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Not according to DHS.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

I love easy answers, I wish folks would go and tell the bureaucracy all about them.