Obamacare just committed suicide before the SCOTUS

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by IP, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

2. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

From Jeffrey Toobin, earlier today:

"I think the individual mandate is gone, based on the questioning," Toobin said after the morning session. "It sure looks like there are at least five votes to get rid of ... the individual mandate."

3. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Jay has entirely different issue if I understand correctly. You have health insurance and are facing issues with adequate compensation, correct? That changes the discussion a bit.

4. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Old Folks Euthanization Brigade? Just strap them up with machine guns and parachutes an drop them off over hostile countries.

5. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

(1) Actually, the tax argument is dead in the water. More [uck fay]ed than the commerce clause argument. Not even the Estrogen Bloc appeared willing to go along with the government's arguments that it's a tax. All three were hostile. Good analysis here: The Volokh Conspiracy » Justices Skeptical of Claims that the Individual Mandate is a Tax

It is all going to come down to the commerce clause issue. And it appears the government is going to lose. But then you never know what Anthony Kennedy is going to do. He can be a bit of a wildcard.

(2) Correct. I'm fairly certain both Obama and various members of Congress have stated multiple times that it isn't a tax.

6. kidbourbon

But what if the other citizen is hot, female, nude, and performing an erotic dance?

Oh yeah, and the money of the first citizen isn't in his pocket but in fact is in his underwear pressed against his junk?

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Probably need to amend the Constitution. But then we'll have to deal with all these ugly [itch bay]es trying to fraudulently pass themselves off as hot.

8. kidbourbon

Roe v. Wade was the best thing that ever happened to the Republican Party in, shit, maybe ever.

9. kidbourbon

Those girls are the worst. The chubby girls with glamour shots all over their facebook accounts. As if any reasonable guy would rate them above a 3.5 on a 10 point scale. Both gross and depressing all at once.

Sometimes irrational confidence can manifest itself in most unpleasant ways.

10. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

We can set up a Supreme Court to judge hotness by men of the 8th.

11. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

You are correct.

I hope I'm wrong, but with all the absolutism, I'm getting an uneasy vibe. With talk of not investing in quality of lfe treatments, You are going down a slippery moral slope. What do you do with the mentally retarded, a child with crippling pediatric arthritis, or any other incurable disease? Do we not invest in giving a kid with cystic fibrosis as much of a chance at as long of a life as possible? This may sound melodramatic and hope I'm wrong, but from the vibe I'm getting the road some are advocating will lead to the 1930s and 1940s era 'purity' camps. This is definitely not what is intended by the positions/statements here, but I
    see it as a step in that direction when we start placing levels of value on human life. In my case, I will not die immediately without treatment, but be assured that without it, my life will be shortened. Nothing anyone can say will convince me that this situation is depriving me of my right to life without due process of the law.

Edit: again as to my situation, I am not speaking about govt healthcare. I have private insurance that's screwed me.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  12. kidbourbon

I'm not saying your lying, but most people say this, but how often do you ever hear of a temporarily lucid senile man taking his life? I'm certain that my maternal grandfather never wanted to live the last 3-4 years of his life the way they ended up being lived, but that's what happened.

With my maternal grandmother it was sort of the opposite. The lady was mentally sharp until the day she died....at age 94. I mean, mentally razor sharp. Never lost her mental capacities. This is great is in a lot of ways, but it has to suck to be fully cognizant that your body is breaking down and your time is limited.

13. kidbourbon

I call dibs on Chief Justice.

14. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

I'm not smart enough to draw the line, float. I'm not trying to advocate an emotional position; what I am advocating is that people who work hard their entire lives should have the same access to healthcare as someone who does nothing. As Jay pointed out, our current structure would have him quit work; then, he suddenly gets the medicine he needs. If we're drawing lines, the people that fall below said line don't need to be the people that have worked and paid taxes their entire lives. That's where my problem in all of this is.

15. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Yep, if the tax argument is dead, the government's [uck fay]ed.

16. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Then, I guess you also object to income tax.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

Oh, I'm certain I'm full of shit. No worries.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

You guys can fight for the bench positions, I volunteer for the role of inspector general.

19. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Income that I have earned, taken from me by the Federal Government and handed to another citizen; Yes I object. (With the exception of our military personnel).

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Why that exception? Doesn't seem principled.