Obamacare penalty for non insurance goes up 250%

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by droski, Apr 8, 2015.

1. IP

IP Super Moderator

Because a good chunk of people who had no coverage now do. Because people can't be dropped anymore when they get really sick.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

people could never be dropped because they got sick. I assure you my insurance would have ****ing loved to do that before they payed out half a mil. and Medicaid existed before obamacare.

3. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Is Florida the only state that has free clinics? His whole idea was that everyone would have insurance and that would drive prices and costs down. Only problem so far is that prices have gone up and my insurance is going to be taxed as income in a year.

4. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Shows how much I know about Obamacare. I thought you were talking about providing an option to your employees. I wouldn't have otherwise asked. I'm fundamentally anti-insurance and yet I would never consider going sans if I had critters. That's just like parenting malpractice.

5. kidbourbon

I've always been able to find a free clinic after an evening of cover zero with a lady who I gather after the fact had probably done hte same with many before.

6. kidbourbon

No capital needed. All you do is you just collect the monthly payments, and when you need to pay out on a claim, you take from the monthly pool, and then if the monthly pool isn't enough, then oh well. No MRI. Sue me I guess.

No, seriously, I think insurance is such any easy business model it should like quasi-legal. I've entertained thoughts of starting a legal malpractice insurance company that basically just, as its general policy, doesn't pay out.

"Sorry Mr. Bad Lawyer: get better at lawyering. Or at least better at choosing malpractice insurance. Deuces."

7. kidbourbon

As a tangential point of reference, the richest man in WV -- who owns both oodles of coal mines and the greenbrier -- has 'not paying bills' as a central tenet of his business model.

I'm not kidding. His business manager is a close friend of mine. They need new plumbing at the greenbrier? They hire a plumber, and he does the work, and they don't pay him. They'll pay him if he sues.

Just brilliant. http://www.npr.org/2014/11/15/363024382/billionaire-spent-millions-in-charity-but-avoided-mine-fines

8. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Great answer.

9. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

No.

And that hasnt changed with it.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

You got to figure if that if they're willing to go bare back with a one night stand, statistically speaking you probably aren't the first.

11. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

My accountant tried telling me that because I didn't have dental coverage for my youngest daughter last year (who turned 5 mos in January), that we technically didn't meet minimum essential coverage and technically owed a penalty. But since there was no way of tracking it right now she was just going to say we did meet it.

I don't really like that approach. It's the same reason I paid taxes on my grad fellowship that wasn't otherwise reported to the government. At least it wasn't until 2006.

However, in this case I'm pretty sure she's wrong, so I'm going to roll with it. Best I can tell, children's dental is considered a minimum essential coverage and must be embedded in qualified exchange health plans or offered as a stand alone dental plan. Same for vision. However, it doesn't have to be purchased only offered. (Unlike general health which must be purchased).

Anyone else read up on his. Seems to be the case but wanted a second opinion.

It would seem pretty stupid to pay a penalty for not having dental insurance for a kid with no teeth.

12. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

There is no requirement for dental insurance. Really bad she doesn't know that

13. syndicate

syndicate Well-Known Member

Interesting. My company doesn't offer vision. I'll be pissed if I have to pay a penalty.

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Vision and dental are completely voluntary

15. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

We'd still be in the dark ages if good faith economic transactions hadn't gained credibility in the 1500s. Societies rise and collapse based on simple things like whether people trust that others will keep their word or pay their debts.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Dental is definitely not a requirement. Even if it were, what does a toothless infant need with a dentist? Makes no sense.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I had a similar thought. Seems like this guy is essentially giving human civilization the finger.

18. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

As Droski says, it looks like dental and vision are completely voluntary. I think I know why she was getting confused. They are considered minimum essential coverage. But that just means they must be offered through the exchange if they are not rolled into the qualified health plan. However, they are not mandatory to purchase like health.

I agree Droski, pretty much unacceptable not to understand that nuance. Makes me wonder what else she misses. But my taxes are pretty simple.

19. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I had a neighbor like this. Guys had like 5 liens on his property from various people he never paid . He was a huge ****

20. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Turbotax IMO