Obamacare

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by XXROCKYTOPXX, Jun 28, 2012.

1. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Mine just jumped the exact same amount for next year. As if it was not already overpriced. Obama blows.

2. justingroves

justingroves supermod

IP didn't

3. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Mine went up 60%. My employer does pay 90% of it but I have to wonder how much longer that'll be the case at this rate. Also deductible up 50% and max out-of-pocket up 25%.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

1) healthcare outcomes have improved substantially (cancer screenings, etc)

2) I've always wanted single payer. The insurance companies are scum.

3) The issue is that the penalties for not participating are not high enough when they know they can get coverage when they need it. Now go back and see who was complaining about the penalties and not making them tougher.

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

1. Funny.

2. The companies are no more scummy than the lying POS that gave this to us for in exchange for votes.

3. Everyone knew the guaranteed with penalties was idiotic. The penalties will have to be enormous. The program is stupid, more expensive and weakens research over time.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Weakens research over time?

7. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

The first time I saw the penalties and the list of exemptions, I laughed because I knew where this was headed. It's downright comical.

8. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I was able to get the premium within $100 a month of last year, but my deductible is up another $4k. fun fun

9. CardinalVol

Mine is actually going down, but I'm also going to a HDHP. After tallying up everything, I wasn't certain short of something catostrophic it would make any difference.

10. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

sure it does. it weakens the field of Drs, which weakens research. Forget about the days win gov't single payor is the only alternative. The upside for those making new equipment and drugs falls off drastically. You can pretend you've seen something different and talk about some silly ass paper suggesting otherwise, but ask the Drs and ask the pharma guys.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I do find it funny that the ones that pushed for it the hardest is the ones not engaging in the exchanges.

12. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

no way and congress falls under something completely separate. Nobody who foisted this giant turd on us has to live with it.

13. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I'm talking young adults.

Also hopefully this puts to rest the using the ER as a doctor visit, instead of using it to just get pain medication to sell or abuse.

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Got it. They were always going to opt out and fall back on guaranteed coverage.

15. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

I've come to the conclusion there is no reason to do anything but a HDHP unless you are a) habitually sick or b) not paying it yourself.

16. CardinalVol

I agree. We ended up taking a policy that covers everything except my PCP and I'm just going to pay whatever to see him for my annual physical. It wasn't worth the price to get UT coverage. Now, if we have a major accident and need trauma center I guess I'm screwed but will cross that bridge if it happens.

We strongly considered one of the faith based groups that is allowed, but there is a catch for pre-existing conditions and my wife has some kidney issues in remission that she didn't want to gamble on it popping back up.

17. Butthole

Butthole Chieftain

Eliminate health insurance. Go out of pocket.

18. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

I switched to a HDP two years ago with an HSA. Easily the smartest thing I've done.

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

That only works as long as you never get a serious health problem.

20. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

In which case then just jump on the exchange.