Obama's tax return

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by CardinalVol, Apr 13, 2012.

1. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

So you make the point that Obama practices what he preaches by factoring in donations, but Romney doesn't?

And so, since you are pro-Clinton tax code - you have no problems with your taxes going up as we as taxes on every American that makes over 10K?

2. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

The first point is bullshit because Obama never stated Romney or he should voluntarily up his tax payment. He criticized the non-support for changing the bill and has included himself as one who should be factored into new tax legislation.

And, on point two, no. I was fine during the Clinton years and would be fine now.

3. Unimane

I'll be honest. My knowledge of Smith is pretty perfunctory. He's one of the few areas in history that never attracted my attention much.

4. CardinalVol

I'm talking about the points you made in this thread. You said it could be argued Obama paid his fair share by donations. Now you are saying the same doesn't apply to Romney. Which is it?

So we should all pay more taxes, got it.

And I'm still waiting as to your guess on the biggest loophole exploitation in the tax code.

5. IP

IP Super Moderator

What's the motivation?

6. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

It doesn't matter how you spin it. Obama is speaking out about the travesty of rich people exploiting the tax code that causes them to pay the same tax rate as people who make a fraction of what they make. Now, if Obama had said, "I use the tax code to my advantage just as much as any other person with significant income", then it might be different. However, he hasn't said anything like that; instead, he has consistently painted it like the people taking advantage of the code were Romneyesque individuals when, as it turns out, he's just like them.

7. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

More money for the government.

8. Unimane

No, it's not an apples to apples comparison. Obama pays at a higher tax rate for significantly less money than Romney made. Romney made about 20 times as much as Obama last year (Actually, using the 2010 numbers for Romney we know) and Obama paid at a 5% higher rate than Romney. Plus, how many tax shelters has Obama used in comparison to Romney? Obama used very standard deductions in his tax return, not using the same loopholes he criticized Romney for using. How was Obama being hyprocritical in terms of criticizing the use of investment income to circumvent tax laws over his wage income? He's not.

No, it's not the same, at all.

9. CardinalVol

Once again, loophole = phrase used by liberals to vilify wealthy and corporations.

At the end of the day, he paid a 20% tax rate, which is far less that the average american. At least that is the mantra he continues to preach.

10. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I think members of the legislative and executive branches should have their effective tax rates automatically doubled.

11. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Oh, I see. Romney was using the "mean, shady" loopholes while Obama was using the "nice, normal" loopholes. Great distinction there, Unimane. And, yes, it's an apples to apples comparison.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Now you get it.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

Keep in mind, it isnt easy being the token liberal on an SEC forum. Unimane has to be a one man army

14. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

If he would just call it like it is, he would be significantly better off.

15. IP

IP Super Moderator

Like what it "is" isnt subjective

16. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Obama constantly babbling about people paying their fair shares, misleading them about Buffett's secretary, and then paying a fairly low rate isn't subjective in the least.

He is as full of shit as Al Gore's carbon dioxide emitting ass.

17. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Bad choice of words.

I didn't mean anything negative about your job. That type of stuff just isn't for me. To tell the truth, my job is laborious and boring sometimes especially with apathetic students. It's also has some awesome and rewarding at times when you get a group that will get involved, discuss and shows a desire to learn. I guess you could say that any job can fit my description.

18. CardinalVol

On a side note, I just looked through Romney's 2010 return again, and that is easily the most complex 1040 I've ever seen.

I'm pretty sure I could knock Obama's out in about 8 hours, if that long.

19. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

Jus for reference, about what was the longest you spent on a single tax return this year?

20. CardinalVol

1040? I don't do many and the longest is probably 15 hours or so. I'm helping a co-worker get an extension out and total hours for the extension is probably 20. Return is probably another 30 more, and it's NOWHERE as complex as Romney's.

The longest return this year? 100+

Longest return ever, all entities included with it, 2 and a half to three months. I hated life by the end of it.