Of Picket Fences and Shining Moments. It's time.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by hallowed_hill, Mar 15, 2012.

1. hallowed_hill

hallowed_hill Active Member

A few brief thoughts on the NCAA tournament.

One Step from the Door: Toward a More Informed Lowbrow Culture, Vol. 3. - Blogs - The 8th Maxim

This might be my favorite day of the year. I woke up this morning with visions of Shooter Flatch and the ‘Hoosiers’ theme song running through my head. Not Joking. Just thinking about opening Thursday of the NCAA basketball tournament always gives me a little more kick in my step. Now that it’s here, I’m downright giddy.

So many great memories--witnessing the Coppin St-South Carolina game in Pittsburgh in '97, spending an entire day at the Times Square ESPN Zone watching games with friends, and many quality hours with a couch and a cold beer. For me, the tournament is the single greatest sporting event in the world. And while I have no problem with folks who favor, say, the Masters or the NFL playoffs, the tournament provides a truly unique spectacle that, in my estimation, surpasses all others. I have a particular affinity for the first weekend.

The first round of the tournament is about anticipating the unknown, the inevitability of the improbable. The next couple of days are about Bryce Drew and Pete Carril, Santa Clara and Richmond. The NCAA will eventually, and rightfully, turn to the Thomas Robinson’s and Kentucky’s of the world, but this weekend is more fun than that. For the big guys, the opening rounds are about survival, about not showing up on next year’s 10 Greatest Upsets list. For smaller, low-major squads, it’s about seizing the opportunity afforded them, a chance for a moment of glory against the more storied programs in college basketball. Is there a Steve Nash out there ready to take it to a #2 seed this year? I don’t know. But I’ll be waiting, and I’ll be watching. Wouldn’t miss it for the world.

2. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Best annual sporting event? Yes. And it's not close. Otherwise, it's between this and the World Cup.

3. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I'd like to stress how much paying for MMOD and then not having the ability to change between games on commercials pisses me off.

4. hallowed_hill

Why do you pay now that its all on tv? Is this for computer access?

5. CardinalVol

Work.

6. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Yes. And it sucks not being able to change during commercial and losing the status bar in the process.

7. CardinalVol

I've figured out that if you go back to the scoreboard you can switch on commercials. But then you have t osee that stupid coke commercial every time.

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Ah, thanks.

9. hallowed_hill

I took a 1/2 and headed to hooters. Just dont tell the wife ya freakin snitch.

10. CardinalVol

Dang, you are lowering standards.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

I love how this site rolls.

12. CardinalVol

We're on upset alert baby!!!!!!!!

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Syracuse better not lose

14. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

JP Primm Dope City

15. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Two terrible calls. Sick.

16. Volnbama

Volnbama Contributor

Refs are gift wrapping this game for Cuse

17. CardinalVol

What a joke.

A missed goal-tending, a ridiculous lane violation call and botched OOB call. Those refs should never call a basketball game again.

18. hardwoodfanatic

hardwoodfanatic New Member

Holy Mother of obvious "make sure the #1 seed advances."

19. hallowed_hill

You have to call the lane violation. OOB was a bad call for sure.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Was that a lane violation? Walk me through that one.