Official 2018 8th Maxim Fantasy Football League Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by rbroyles, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

2. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

How so? You won by 24.68 points.

That TD was a 70 yard TD reception. That's 15 total points for you, if my math is right (7 pts for the yards, 1 point for the reception, another 1 point for +40 yd reception, and 6 points for the TD) and -3 from his defense for moving from 7 points allowed to 14 points allowed.

That's an 18 point swing that doesn't change the outcome, but I could definitely be misreading or miscalculating.

3. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Quote function isn't working for me, but @Indy I do tend to tune out Points Against somewhat. In every league there's someone undeservedly high in the standings because of a low Points Against, and someone undeservedly low because of the opposite. In most leagues there's someone who never checks his lineup, and is therefore a really tough matchup early (and maybe late after the byes, if they avoid injuries), but gives a few teams a free win in between. And in most leagues there's someone who has multiple of these unlucky things happen to them. The fact that being second in points isn't enough to overcome that is what feels unique to me, but it also implies that you must have had some ridiculous matchups, points against, etc. So we're saying the same thing framed in different ways.

You do seem to have had some incredibly frustrating luck, though, and in fantasy it can be rough when it's drawn out over several weeks. I think there's probably just a limit on how many times you can say so before people get annoyed. Maybe not much comfort, but if it takes this much ridiculousness for you to miss the playoffs, then you're probably generally doing the right things and that's all you can do.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

also, if you have similar rosters in multiple leagues, is it really "luck" when similar frustrating results occur?

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

No disagreement here.

6. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

A mixture of that and multiple players on the same team can be tough, but my rosters really aren't all that similar, to be honest.
    • Only have Keenan Allen in the one league.
    • I have Ekeler in 2, but he's been out for most of the season. I guess you could point to his injury hitting me twice, which is fair. I only took him where I did in our league because I thought we were a PPR league. I got him 20th overall in the ESPN league, which is a phenomenal spot to snag him for PPR.
    • Only have Herbert in our league, and, as mentioned, would have started Lamar vs. the Cowboys over Herbert vs. the Pats if I had a guarantee that Lamar was going to play. I didn't have that guarantee, so I had to start Herbert.
    • I do have Henry in 2 leagues. There wasn't really a better option in either though, so it is what it is. TE's tend to be on the lower side of importance anyway, outside of the top 1-2.

7. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

you aren’t special or unique, Indy. This is from my random Public league. The guy in 8th place is actually 4th in points , probably will be in 3rd this week after yet another loss (Jacques team in 9th has 1134 points on the season.) This will be the 5th time this season that Billy team has scored either the 2nd or 3rd most points for the week and lost. He’ll have more than 150 points against than the next closest team.
    D9E89882-1FED-422B-8A29-6381BBEB886A.png 895206F6-A717-46AB-9366-762E219856DC.png

8. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I've received my validation elsewhere. I don't need it from you anymore.

9. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Looks like I can sneak in if I either score a shitload of points this week or if Global Warming and Cleveland Steamers lose, and Just-a-Brees loses and scores significantly less points (35ish) than me.

In other words, good season fellas.

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

damn it, another one got away.

InVolNerable likes this.
  11. IP

IP Super Moderator

as you well know, anyone can lose at any time.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I started typing up a response, decided it wasn't worth it and that I didn't really care that much anymore, and then responded as I did.

13. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Of course. It's just very statistically unlikely that I make it in at this point. Which is fine (aka, not complaining, just stating that it is what it is).

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

it was a good response, I laughed

Indy likes this.
  15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

McCaffrey likely out again this week, with a new injury from the bye week. What a disappointment.

16. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

21 points from my defense last night. Just as I planned.

17. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

Pretty sure this has happened to me two or three seasons in a row with my first or second pick.

Last year with Antonio Brown and the year before was Leveon Bell. I may be cursed.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
    IP likes this.
  18. IP

IP Super Moderator

It is quite common, because backs are picked early and backs get hurt.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

My team just sort of collapsed in on itself the last few weeks.
    • Tyler Lockett averaged 4.6 points the last 3 weeks.
    • Terry McLaurin averaged 4.33 points in the last 3 weeks, and just 1.9 points in the last 2.
    • Hunter Henry averaged 3.77 points in the last 3 weeks
    • Justin Herbert averaged 13.84 points in the last 3 weeks
    I think my biggest disappointment of the season has to go to Lockett. 8 TD's on the season looks good, but when you see that 6 of them came in 2 total games, you realize that only having 2 across the other 11 games is rough. He also only broke 75 yards receiving 3 times and 100 yards receiving twice. Just a rough season all around.

I had the opportunity to trade him early in the year. I think it was Nashvol who wanted him, though I can't remember what you offered. Wondering if I should have taken the deal, now that I see how Lockett's season played out.

20. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

My team was ass this week. My defense gave me 21 points and I barely scored 80 total.