Official 2018 8th Maxim Fantasy Football League Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by rbroyles, Aug 7, 2015.

1. NashVol11

NashVol11 Well-Known Member

Seeding can matter if you get a bye, but generally agreed on both points. Playoffs are a crapshoot, and this happens in real football too, where some teams get to face a bunch of backup QBs and others don't. Teams just have to deal with it.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

yes, a bye is precious

3. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I scored 129 in my ESPN league this week (and that was with Ekeler, Henry, and Keenan Allen all starting), but the other guy scored 155 and literally took my playoff spot from me.

My only hope for still making it rests on the shoulders of a guy who left the Bucs D and Mark Andrews in his starting lineup. Oddly enough, he was set up pretty well to pull the upset in spite of not actually setting a roster. Then Terry McLaurin, Washington’s only real threat offensively, somehow managed to go for just 3 points in what could be Pittsburgh’s first loss of the season. It fits perfectly with my luck that a 4-7 team beats an undefeated team without utilizing their best player, who I needed to score big.

There’s still hope, but it’s waning. I’m also watching the playoffs slip away from me in our league as well. But hey, I scored 180 points in the 1 league where I was already locked into the playoffs, so [uck fay] me, right?

4. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Also, I like that idea for the last playoff spot. It makes sense and seems fair. A team that scores a shitload of points but gets bull shit match ups shouldn’t be penalized.

5. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Lol, enjoy your win, @IP. Can’t make this shit up. [uck fay]ing Josh Allen.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

Stop, you're going to give me diabetes if you make it any sweeter with those tears.

7. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

lol I’m laughing at this point. A fumble on the one yard line? Literally couldn’t have drawn it up any more perfectly.

8. IP

IP Super Moderator

Did you watch Hill score a touchdown that just didn't get called or reviewed yesterday? No big deal, he scores a lot of points, bound to have a low game now and then even if due to something weird like that. That Las Vegas TE scored twice as many points yesterday than he ever has in 5 years against TT's team. Shit happens. Every week, to every team.

9. dknash

dknash Chieftain

I have had the most points scored against me, and I've also been insanely lucky. Although getting doubled up every other week wasn't likely to last.

10. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

It’s funny to me that you bring up Hill. His 8.8 points for you were more than EVERY single player on my team not named Alvin Kamara (though I guess my Kicker could still score more?). Hell, in the past two weeks, out of the 18 players I’ve started, only FOUR of them have scored more than the 8.8 points that you’re pointing out as being “bad luck” for Hill.

Look man, you’re acting like I think I’m the only one with bad luck. I don’t. And I get that when I list out an array of consecutive bad luck, it’s very easy for you and others to just write it off as me [itch bay]ing. But it is absolutely absurd how many things had to fall into place for me to miss the playoffs in my other league. Just to name a few:
    • 2nd most Points For, most Points Against by a LOT
    • Played the #1 ranked team (11-2) and the #2 ranked team (8-5) twice each
    • Drafted McCaffrey first (has missed 9 games)
    • Drafted Ekeler second (has missed 6 games; 7 if you count the game he got injured in)
    • Must win game, week 13, to make the playoffs... I get matched up with one of my playoff competitors, the only person in the league with more Points For than me.
    • Meanwhile, the two other competitors each play teams with gaps in their starting lineups.
      • One guy’s opponent scored 37 [uck fay]ing points, multiple starters empty
      • The other guy’s opponent didn’t start an active Defense or TE. And yet, he was STILL in a strong position to win... until Terry McLaurin scored 3 [uck fay]ing points while Stefon Diggs had, basically, a normally solid [uck fay]ing game (which isn’t even over yet).
    Yes. Everyone has bad luck. But everybody doesn’t deal with all that shit.

And that doesn’t even get into the two meltdowns that had to take place in our league in the past two weeks just to put me in a position to maybe miss the playoffs. Nothing as absurd as what I’ve seen in my other league, but still a brutal couple of weeks.

11. IP

IP Super Moderator

Injury issues to your first round pick is probably the most common reason for missing the playoffs.

If you missed the playoffs because you were matched up with a playoff competitor, that just means the playoff started early for you and you lost. You aren't getting screwed if you had your shot at the end of the season against a contender, and lost. And that is what you are describing. My playoffs in this league started already. I absolutely had to beat a playoff team: you. I have to win next week too, and I don't think I guaranteed a spot even then despite having more points than anyone in the division. That's fantasy. Variance is as much of a factor as total points. High variance can lead to inconsistent results. Sounds like you have a very, very inconsistent team in your other league.

12. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Are you Dickson Fire? I absolutely destroyed you early on in the season. It was the most points any one has scored in our league. I’ve actually got the 1st and 3rd best single week scores in our league. Yet, somehow, I’ve also managed to score less than 8 fairly regularly.

13. IP

IP Super Moderator

14. dknash

dknash Chieftain

That's me, #1 and #2 were both against me I'm pretty sure. But I think my top 3 picks were out at least one of those weeks, so good timing at least. I think I might be #5 in total points after this week, so not a total fraud. But I have no idea how I've won 7 straight after starting 1-4.

15. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

Yeah, and I had injuries to both my first and second round pick. And will still only miss the playoffs because 2 of my 3 competitors got free wins in week 13 because fantasy sites still haven’t discovered what auto fill is.

I don’t agree with your assessment, like at all.

First, playoffs in this league are 2 weeks per round. If I had a 2nd week coming against this guy, I’d still be very well positioned to win overall. I’ll probably score 150+ next week, especially with McCaffrey back.

Second, again, this guy has the most Points For, and I have the second most. He also has the second most Points Against, while I have the most. We are, by every true measurement (aside from record), the best two teams in the league, by a lot. Like, a lot a lot. The notion that we didn’t get screwed by essentially being pushed into a play in game against each other during week 13 is absurd.

Third, I positioned myself well enough to get in, even despite losing. This guy beating me guarantees him the 1 seed in his division (he was out if he lost). That leaves 2 open spots with 3 teams tied and vying for them. But, again, the other 2 teams got, essentially a free pass because their opponents didn’t fill their starting lineups.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  16. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

And again, this is the same league where I will finish with over 300 more Points Against and more Points For than the 1 seed for the playoffs, who finished 12-2. Like, the list goes on and on and on.

Did I mention that we drafted between week 1 and week 2, and they counted the scores from week 1? I came out of the [uck fay]ing draft with a loss, for Christ’s sake... and against a guy who’s in the [uck fay]ing playoffs.

17. dknash

dknash Chieftain

If Week 17 is part of the championship round, perhaps fortune is doing you a solid.

18. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I’m overdue for a big game, but I’m not sure I’m even guaranteed a spot if I beat you. I’m pretty sure I need IP to lose a game he’s heavily favored to win. But I also haven’t looked into it a ton because so many of us are so close together in the rankings.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

My team is so unbelievably stacked that I imagine it wouldn’t have mattered. I have McCaffrey, Robinson, Ekeler, Chubb, Mostert, and Mixon all on one team. It wouldn’t be a surprise if I score more than every single other team for each of the next 4 weeks.

20. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

And I really do think the worst part of it all is that the one team out of my 3 that could really afford a loss this week ended up scoring 180 [uck fay]ing points lol... thanks in large part to that Las Vegas TE (Waller).