Plain and Simple: Poorly Coached.

Discussion in 'Keith Hatfield Memorial Vols Hoops' started by LawVol13, Nov 12, 2013.

Tags:
  1. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

It's time to just call it like it is. This is a poorly coached team. Offensively, there is no purpose; pathetic shot selection. They're fairly fundamentally sound defensively but collapse at crunch time with failure to rotate. Offensively, it's just awful. No other way to put it. Stokes has progressed exactly zero offensively since he's been on campus.

2. Knox9552

Knox9552 Member

We now get to hear about Pearl and his inevitable return to Tennessee all season long. Thanks Counzo.

3. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

Pearl's coming back??? Sweet!!

4. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Pearl is 10x the coach Cuonzo is so I would take him in a heartbeat.

5. Knox9552

Knox9552 Member

Sadly at this point I would as well.

6. I love Pearl but the talk of his return is so unlikely that it is annoying.

7. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

I don't think Pearl's teams could survive in a league where handchecks are being called

8. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

And proof that we have the dumbest fanbase in America.

Yet we have the fastest mother****er on the planet, though. And he'll gladly prove it.

9. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

I agree with all of what the OP posted. This team is poorly coached. We didn't even attempt to get the ball inside during the 1st 15 minutes of the game. Just passing the ball around the perimeter until someone decided to take a 3. McRae is the only player who can take it to the hole. Stokes was abused at times by big whitie from Xavier. He hasn't progressed as the OP said. Maymon looked rusty as hell. Hubbs had a very poor game. Still lacking a decent PG who can run the offense, at this point it is probably more of a Counzo problem than personnel. Our offense just sucks donkey balls. I did like the inside out with Stokes and Barton. Need much more of that.

On Defense we gave up dribble drives way too easy all around the perimeter. Xavier got so many better looks than we did. If not for point blank misses and stupid turnovers on their part they would have put this game away long ago. Stokes and Maymon played way too soft inside on D. I did like the decision to guard them further out on the perimeter...as if getting beat time after time in the 1st half wasn't enough. Defensive awareness tonight was pretty bad.

10. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Better chance of Pearl returning than Martin making a sweet 16 here.

11. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

No.

12. Bassmanbruno

Bassmanbruno Banned

Yeah.

13. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

You need to stick to gaming threads. Or racing cheetahs. Or swallowing .357s.

l3rewski likes this.
  14. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

People seem to romanticize Pearl to some degree. He had his warts (beyond the cheating). That being said, he is far superior to the coach we currently have. I'd just like to have one UT team to root for that has competent coaching.

15. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

Better chance of Obama joining the Tea Party than either of those happening.

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

In all seriousness, you don't have the slightest ****ing clue. About anything.

17. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Pearl was a salesman. His forte was not in-game coaching.

18. LawVol13

LawVol13 Chieftain

Pearl's not coming back. Period. Believe it or not, discussing this current team's coaching staff does not always have to devolve into a pissing match with some Pearlites.

19. Intelligence has nothing to do with it. Pearl is proven and his firing is viewed as an unfair result of a stupid, but minor mistake. The latter being compounded by the fact that the NCAA is now universally viewed as a complete joke incapable of fair or even punishment. I don't think folks dreaming for Pearl understand that despite this it is still unlikely he'd be re-hired here. Not impossible tho.

20. ben4vols

ben4vols Contributor

I agree. Pretty good motivator as well.