Police respond to reports of active shooter in Chattanooga

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by VolDad, Jul 16, 2015.

1. hatvol96

hatvol96 Well-Known Member

That's a problem for them to work out among those two factions. Both are incredibly dependent on US aid. Pretty sure a "Guys, work together and wipe out ISIS for us. We'll write you the big checks you deserve. Then, settle your differences however the [uck fay] you want to. Just keep it in your boundaries" talk would suffice.

2. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Well, effectively the US would be Hulk Hogan barging into the middle of a 12-way Hell in a Cell where none of them don't trust the US and 5 of them outright despise the US.

Great for TV, horrible for reality.

There is no winning strategy that doesn't come from the Middle East itself. We can't support the Sunnis as Saudi Arabia are shitasses. We can't support the Shia as Iran are shitasses. Turkey? Turkey is our only legit option as you mentioned but they hate the Kurds and would never legitimize a Kurdistan.

So there is no win for us. The US would just spent billions or trillions of dollars... for what? What is our strategic/economic/etc end-game? We don't need their resources. We don't need their land for bases.

Let them just eat themselves alive.

3. hatvol96

I think that's the main component of what I am saying. I just believe picking a few favorites and calling in a couple of markers can tilt who ends up standing toward those most palatable to us.

4. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Why is this a US taxpayer problem to solve?

If anything, financially, it should be a UN/EU problem. Boot the Greeks and let the Turks in on the condition that they dismantle ISIS and oversee ME security. That would be a fun one to watch on the sidelines given how the Greeks and Turks are historical best friends.

5. hatvol96

Put a meaningful buffer between Turkey and a Kurdish state and you'd be surprised. Remember, we didn't give the Jews East Germany or Poland.

6. hatvol96

If the US wants to sit it out, fine. I just don't want to hear any wailing when events like today occur.

7. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

The Middle East has a whole lot of cultural evolution to undergo before that is a legit discussion.

I'm just not in the group of sending tens of billions in aid to "the lesser of 12 evils".

8. hatvol96

We're giving them the aid anyways. I'm just saying make them earn it.

9. hatvol96

Wiping out the bottom of the pool is a big part of evolution.

10. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I'm pissed off at today, sure.

But I'm not wailing by any means. I fully recognize that the ME has been a clusterfark for a millennia and the US will bankrupt itself trying to solve that riddle.

We're nowhere near the first to suffer a domestic attack because of radical islam. The list of nations that have suffered that is quite long. We're the only ones dumb enough to think we can kick down doors and kill our problems.

Spain, UK, France, India, China, Russia, etc have all suffered radical muslim attacks on their home soil. Russia is the only other one to do something and that was just a valid excuse to invade Chechnya. With all of Russias similar door-kicking diplomacy... they haven't solved radical Islam with violence.

Violence doesn't quell radical Islam... it fuels it.

You're dead-on right about one thing. The ME won't be stable until Turkey, Iran, Egypt, Saudi Arabia and Israel allow it to be. Until then? I say we stop bankrolling it. This includes Pakistan very much at the top of the list.

11. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

If they were just eating themselves, I'd send spoons. They aren't. They are pulling off overseas ops.

And, the point that shouldn't be lost is that they are winning.

12. hatvol96

When was the last time Al Qaeda or ISIS hit Russia?

13. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I agree wholeheartedly, but that is not our place and this is way out of our ability to solve.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

I know a few that served in Iraq. Almost all of them say the only way to win is to kill everyone over the age of 10 and start over.

15. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Only problem is there is a zero percent chance of that actually happening.

16. bostonvol

bostonvol Chieftain

Unfortunately there is some truth to that.

17. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

Those 2 institutions, under those names, never did because their respective branch of radical islam never gave a shit about Russia.

AQ and ISIS are nothing but name fronts for specifically tailored radical Sunni Islam. Russia has it's own litany of problems with radical Sunni Islam with Chechnya.

18. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

And even those *******s came to Iraq as mercs.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The ones that say it were in the deepest amount of shit over there.

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Many Turks don't want in the EU.