POLITICS President Trump: 100+ Mornings After (Term 1 Complete)

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by IP, Apr 30, 2017.

1. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I don’t think it has to be campaign funds. If you can prove the intent was to influence the election then it’s still an illegal contribution.

JayVols likes this.
  2. JayVols

JayVols Walleye Catchin' Moderator

And Pecker's story completely aligning with Cohen's account?

I don't think Trump will be impeached over this, but they've got him dead to rights.

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

And this is the real hard part, proving intent. Now, if they have Trump on tape or email or letter saying "because we don't want this to get out before the election", well then, oops.

But that is just speculation on my part, and again, proving the intent is the hard part.

4. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

If the tape clearly states that he will be indicted.

5. NorrisAlan

He will most likely have to be impeached. There are a lot of legal issues with indicting a sitting President.

6. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

If they have him dead to rights this should move along fairly quickly.

7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Do you think the Senate will vote to impeach him?

8. JayVols

It's moving fairly quickly. They may wait until he's out of office to prosecute.

9. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Remove from office? Not unless intent is irrefutable.

10. JayVols

No, not with what's out there now. It turns out that whole law & order party thing is pretty conditional.

"I don't care..."

- Orin Hatch (R), UT

emainvol and tvolsfan like this.
  11. NorrisAlan

Convict his impeachment to be precise, no. Not just this. Now, if Mueller comes down with something that is so gross, such as money laundering for the Russians, working with the Russians to affect the campaign, etc, then I think it will be a slam dunk.

But it would have to be gross. And this country would have a real schism on our hands if a weak impeachment conviction was handed down by the Senate. But with the Republicans in control of the Senate, again, it would have to be gross for that to even happen.

12. JayVols

I'm not sure it happens even in the worst case scenario. POWER>principle.

13. NorrisAlan

The Senate would have no choice, as if it was so gross, the People would demand it save the 20% of so of the population that would be impossible to convince. And convicting would be about keeping their Power, no doubt.

14. JayVols

I wish I could agree. I hope I'm wrong, but I have seen nothing that would change my POWER>principle statement.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I am with you. Power trumps all. I would think the same way if Dems were in power. Its how government works now. Its all about party and winning at all cost.

JayVols likes this.
  16. JayVols

It's disheartening for sure.

Might be a hard sell, but I really hate feeling so cynical.

zehr27 likes this.
  17. JayVols

Not that it will matter, but Maria Butina pleads guilty to failing to register as a foreign agent, and enters into a cooperation agreement with prosecutors. If the law was important, the NRA & evangelical organizations would be screwed.

18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I don't understand how all this works but you are able to pay someone to look for dirt on a candidate but it is illegal for a candidate to pay someone to keep quite? Politics are really something else.

19. NorrisAlan

It always has been, really. And if Power is important, and Trump has done something so gross as to cause a super majority of the populace to demand he be removed from Office, then the Senate would be suicidal not to do it, whether it was on principle or not.

It would be to get re-elected!

But again, it would have to be so damning (such as where Nixon was heading with Watergate) as to cause most of the country to go "Dude has to go."

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

What do you think Ryan and other house repubs were referring to in that recorded conversation about russians and keeping things in the family? It was surely Butina, because she is in photographs with some of them.