President Trump Work & Drug Tests for Subsidies

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by Tenacious D, Apr 12, 2018.

1. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

My wife reports quite a few for Medicare abuse but generally nothing ever gets done.

She’s had one patient they actually did something on after she reported the same woman for 10 months in a row.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Let your wife know that some jackass on your sports forum thinks she is justified to complain about welfare.

3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Separate office.

emainvol and JayVols like this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Separate office. I am sure they are loath to ever find anything that justifies their funding as a fraud office.

JayVols likes this.
  5. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Game, set, match.

6. IP

IP Super Moderator

1) gross

2) so 53's wife's success is your reason for not reporting?

7. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I'm not against reform in the system and making work requirements more stringent. However, the drug testing requirement is a complete waste of time and resources. It plays on the stereotype that people on assistance must have a high rate of junkies without much evidence to support this idea. In fact, studies have shown the opposite, that those on assistance have had lower rates of drug abuse. It's merely another concept borne out of vilifying the poor.

Dalekanium likes this.
  8. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

My experience in dealing with numerous government agencies is my reason for knowing how shit government agencies are.

justingroves likes this.
  9. IP

IP Super Moderator

Just post all the details when you see something and I will report it for you

10. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Perhaps it plays to the idea that it is already hard enough to pull yourself out of your circumstances; lets take away at least 1 hurdle.

Or, if you have money to buy drugs then you obviously have money to spend on food, shelter, clothing, etc. so why do you need mine.

With that said I am not for 1 and done. I agree with that last bullet point.

Substance Abuse Trends among Welfare Recipients
    Harold A. Pollack, Ph.D., University of Michigan

• Although almost 20 percent of welfare recipients report recent use of some illicit drug during the year, only a small minority satisfies internationally accepted diagnostic criteria for drug or alcohol dependence.
    • Illicit drug use and dependence are more common among women receiving welfare than among women who do not. Drug use is a risk factor for welfare receipt, even after controlling for race, educational attainment, region and other factors.
    • Alcohol dependence also appears more prevalent among women receiving welfare than among those who do not, though this effect is smaller and more ambiguous than is the case for drugs.
    • The prevalence of illicit drug use among welfare recipients nationally declined between 1990 and 1998, although recipients are more likely than non-recipients to use drugs.
    • Psychiatric disorders, especially major depression and post-traumatic stress disorder, are more prevalent than illicit drug dependence among welfare recipients. States should screen, assess, and refer to treatment those welfare applicants and recipients who have a broad range of mental health and substance abuse problems that hinder the transition from welfare to work.
    http://www.saprp.org/pm_keyResFind.cfm

11. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

No.

12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

13. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

I would say testing people that work are a complete waste of resources too, but they still do it to catch one guy every 3 years here.

emainvol, cpninja and justingroves like this.
  14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Section 8 lets people live in 300K houses for a fraction of what they would normally pay for rent.

15. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Co-sign on the opposition to the drug testing for food stamps thing, though not necessarily for the same reasons.

It's red tape on top of red tape. Just a wildly terrible idea.

16. NYY

NYY Super Moderator

Unless it’s an inordinate amount of money, think lifetime amount, nothing will be done.

Trust me.

17. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Section 8 is a focking boondoggle.

So I had this client from Fredericksburg who is a bit of a hood rat, and as a result of her hoodratness and her belief that I wasn't so terrible at lawyering, I ended up representing several other of her acquiantances, all from the same area. It was in this capacity that I became privy to a seemingly weird phenomena of people from fredericksburg either talking about moving to Elkins WV or actually up and moving to Elkins WV. Huh? Why the funk are all these people from Fredericksburg moving to Elkins, I wondered.

Because they have section 8 housing in Elkins, and somebody from fredericksburg discovered this and told other people who in turn told other people.

The existence of this Fredericksburg to Elkins pipeline is somewhere between borderline comical and actually comical.

Joseph Brant likes this.
  18. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Like you have any idea about this whatsoever.

Pfft.

lylsmorr and NYY like this.
  19. IP

IP Super Moderator

Ya, that last bullet is notable. What if America's biggest problem is that we are literally going crazy?

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

Why not?