Presidential Candidates Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Obama has nearly two years left in his term and, yet, we are already talking seriously about candidates for the next election, plus having them virtually in full campaign mode, already. It's one of the many parts of the process that I can't stand.

Still, since they are out there, it would be useful to discuss the potential candidates.

For the Democrats, it appears to be Hillary and only Hillary. The only equivalent I can think of her candidacy in my life is picturing the most boring sexual experience of my life. I think I would pick doing it again over not, but I can't get too enthusiastic about it. I hope Elizabeth Warren enters the race to have some amount of intrigue and spice to the race. Even as a staunch liberal, I am utterly unmoved by the potential candidates in 2016.

The Republicans will be a lot more fun, though. First of all, this guy is a bad idea for the Republicans - http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/04/politics/ben-carson-prisons-gay-choice/index.html Fortunately for them, candidates who make dumb and inane comments on this level, don't usually last very long.

The only real serious candidates, to me, are Jeb Bush and Chris Christie. The rest are seriously flawed on a national scale. Some may be tired of the Clinton-Bush matrix, but name recognition and brand goes pretty far with the average voter. So, I'm going on record to say that the 2016 election will be between Hillary and Jeb, as distasteful as that may sound.

2. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

Dr. Carson is an intelligent man, but that was a very ignorant thing to say.

3. Snakeonia

Snakeonia Active Member

Why would Ben Carson be a bad idea? He's a smart guy

4. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

rand paul speaks truth to power

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

you actually believe that?

6. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

as does elizabeth warren

7. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

power being the status quo

8. Unimane

He's an exceptionally intelligent doctor, but has some idiotic comments on society. I'd be very happy having him give me brain surgery, not so much serving as a government official.

9. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

No matter which clown gets elected, one thing you can count on is 20 years of shenanigans.

10. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

I think Rand Paul would have a better chance in a national election, than getting through the GOP process.

11. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

My boss and I were talking about this. The GOP nominee has to get through the Right Wing Christian Conservative gauntlet to even get nominated, and that leaves out a lot of middle ground for alliance forging with the opposition.

12. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It's a fine line of feeding the socons their red meat to get them fired up, and not putting your foot in your mouth at the national level.

Both Parties run on morals though, and I'm not a fan of either.

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Rand Paul or Christie would get my vote

14. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

I love you

:eek:

15. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I don't buy this. A legit fiscal conservative appeals to a lot of people. We haven't had one of those in forever because we get enamored with the guys with all of the promises that will never happen.

16. tvolsfan

tvolsfan Chieftain

I wouldn't be surprised if the president is none of those three you mentioned. That said, I'm not sure I can offer anyone in particular.

17. Unimane

I agree, as well. Romney made it through last time without being a hard core social conservative and, even though he gave some lip service, he didn't have to dish out much red meat to get through the gauntlet of the primary.

18. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

Carson is a flash in the pan that will hopefully go away quietly. His stance on guns was enough to turn me off but this latest foolishness shows he isn't ready for prime time politics.... Jeb is a true conservative and if the GOP base can get behind him I don't see any way he loses. As for me, I'll continue "wasting my vote" on whomever the Libertarians trot out...

19. Low Country Vol

Low Country Vol Contributor

Bush and Christy will fare no better than Dole, McCain, and Romney.

20. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Romney also had no personality and played it safe as hell the whole time. We're still a very poor position economically, and he never took control of that during his campaign. He let Obama control the message and deflect through it.