Presidential Candidates Thread

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by Unimane, Mar 4, 2015.

1. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Hell he did everything he could to reinforce Obama's message.

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

Mitch Daniels I turn my lonely eyes to you!

3. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I believe our talk was more about how they have to appease the Right Wing more than be that person. And that can turn on them fast if they try to accommodate the other side.

But both sides suffer from this. The nation seems to have forgotten how to compromise, and turned compromise into some how being a bad thing and meaning you will not stick to your guns. Even on the smallest of issues.

I am generalizing, I know, which is a bad thing. I just have a hard time keeping focused on politics, as it is such a shitfest that I cannot bother with it. Makes me a bad voter, I know, but it just sucks.

4. Savage Orange

Savage Orange I need ammunition, not a ride. -V Zelensky.

No... I'd say that's a pretty fair analysis. Partisan politics and failure to bend an inch on anything is the main reason why its so hard to get meaningful legislation passed. The system is broken. Exhibit A is Obama's sidestepping of Constitutional process via EO... yeah, I know the claims about him being the most prolific user of EO are bogus but the scope with which he uses it IS fairly unprecedented.

5. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

much of the libertarian platform will eventually be absorbed into the Republican platform.

If the Rs would move a little toward social liberalism, they'd have a prayer.

6. Savage Orange

That why you need to keep your eye on Jeb. He's for a realistic approach to immigration and a few other things that are anathema to the far right... he's still a strong fiscal conservative but his social approach is much more inline with reality... not that I'd vote for him or anything, but for a republican, he actually is somewhat decent... I'll be interested to see who gets the LP nomination.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  7. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

Bush isn't close to.leaning libertarian. I do believe the republican party will have a bloody transition to leaning that direction, but we're along ways from that happening

8. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

really? You don't see the party moving away from the Old South preacher type voter and toward the social liberal with fiscal conservative at the core? Who are the Old South guys gonna vote for anyway? The voter turnout silliness needs to stop. We need fiscal conservatism and we need to preach it from the mountaintops. Ignore the petty social crap and address our most glaring issue.

9. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

They spend at levels close to democrats right now, so have more work than fixing their social issues.

Bush really did try to tackle ss but even with control of both houses of congress got no where. Right now they spit out Goldwater quotes, while doing the opposite in office.

10. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

number of people that will give a shit about gay marriage et all 10 years from now will be minuscule. they'll adapt

11. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

the modern politician is solely about votes. I believe they'd all switch parties if it meant the right number of votes

12. IP

IP Super Moderator

I don't know if it would really help, but I would like to try moving back to the system where the runner-up in the election becomes vice president.

13. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

would turn the vp even more into a meaningless post.

14. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

I'm for term limits and at least one opposition controlled office, be it presidency or one house of congress.

15. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

republican minus church minus overseas military involvement equals libertarian

16. Savage Orange

Minus gay marriage, minus big government, minus drug legalization, minus abortion, minus outlandish spending, minus meaningful tax reform... sheesh. The GOP has as much in common with the LP as the Taliban does...

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

I feel like the VP being the runner-up is the easiest way to help from totally shutting a party out (which I agree is bad)

18. y2korth

y2korth Contributor

gay marriage = church
    big government - military/industrial complex = much smaller government
    drug legalization = church
    abortion = church
    outlandish spending - m.i. complex = much less spending

all of the taxes - almost all of the taxes = libertarian

all of the social net - all of the social net = libertarian

19. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

but the VP is just the clipboard holder and rare tiebreaker. Useless role, as can be seen in the stiffs who've filled it. Can you imagine Biden or Quayle having any say in anything that matters?

20. IP

IP Super Moderator

They could switch places and no one would notice a difference.