Quick thoughts on the game

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by justingroves, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Ls like tonite force me to pump the brakes on expectations long term. UT isnt very good and everyone knows it, but this is one of those gettable games against a similar team that we just blew. Still a few games left to salvage but AU has that 13' USC, "fools gold" feel to it until you add something with it.

I'm more convinced now than ever that Helton is scheming around JG as much as he is the OL. He was fine until he had to play QB at the end.

We got hosed on the fumble and PI call late. Both were bad on a level where someone should be questioned about em.

No reason for the defense to be gashed that bad. First game where I felt like we never settled in and try to force anything on them.

All in all just bad. I thought 7 wins was doable after AU, it wouldn't take much to convince me we re 4-8 again and that's not a good look when trying to finish a signing class that you need to squeeze every ounce out of.

TDVol1989 and Memtownvol like this.
  2. Beechervol

Should be easy to trace and raise a fuss about if true.

The fumble should have been fixed. It was evident the ball come out shortly after impact and Bituli with in a second had popped out with it.

3. awebb7

awebb7 Contributor

You can’t out coach terrible refs. But yeah, that wasn’t good. We should have been able to persevere in spite of the officials and beat that sorry team...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  4. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

The non-pi on Calloway (I think?) where the DB wrapped his arm around his chest before ball was there.

The fumble that Bituli got, yet wasn’t called a fumble.

And the one where I knew refs were 100% in [ock cay]’s pocket was the “TD” catch that went straight through the basket, landed on the ground, receiver landed on top of it then basketed it. Right in plain view of the signaling ref. But, “nah, TD. Maybe they won’t review it, lol.”

5. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Is it that SOB vandy grad? I would have thought he would have hung them up by now. I know Phil did what he could to get him banned from Neyland.

6. GahLee

GahLee Director of Conspiracy Theories, 8th Maxim

Are we just completely ignoring the offensive line woes and the number of kill shots he takes every single game?

7. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

I think last nights game was the best showing from the OL in several years.

8. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

Pruitt is disappointed with the performance of some of his players? He needs to be just as disappointed in the play calling of his offensive coordinator. How many GD screen passes did we throw, why completely abandon the run when we were up? We took 3 maybe four shots downfield with the studs we have at receiver? I'm at a loss on how we shot ourselves in the foot, the arm, and just for good measure, the face too last night

9. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

Our OL isn't good and they were blitzing a lot. Quick throws and screens prevent constant pressure.

10. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

Absolutely not. Bad. I just dont like JGs game. Nice kid, tries hard and is tough. But often looks lkke hes never played QB before.

GahLee likes this.
  11. justingroves

justingroves supermod

The quick screens and quick throws are running plays for this offensive line that can't run block

utvol0427 likes this.
  12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I had minimal issues with playcalling last night on the offensive sode. Defense was worrisome.

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

As ballsy as he coaches, not going for points at the half confuses me.

A-Smith and warhammer like this.
  14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Watching TKjr hurt me.

TDVol1989 likes this.
  15. Ssmiff

Really dont know why, unless, he doesnt trust JG to not take a sack/fumble. We saw the 2 minute offense last night. Not good

16. Ssmiff

Thought it was Tenny out there. Poor kid may not run a 5.0

17. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

I haven't seen anything that worries me about Pruitt long term. The majority of our problems are only going to be fixed with a couple of recruiting cycles. That's just how it is.

Doesnt excuse the loss last night however. That was a game we could have won and should have won. Defense was atrocious.

18. Beechervol

Agreed.

And on the flip I thought he should have punted on 4th down and tried to get a stop at the end.

19. Tar Volon

Tar Volon Me Blog @RockyTopTalk.com

Overall, we showed up and did some things well, which I wasn’t really expecting—felt like this was the spot where both previous coaches lay an egg. Was expecting to lose. Losing still sucks, but we still have a shot at making a bowl. Not sure I’d bet on it at even odds, but we can take 2/3 from UK/Mizzou/Vandy. Doesn’t change my opinion of Pruitt or the staff.

The defense started strong, but they couldn’t stop a thing from the 14-3 mark on. Just a terrible performance against an offense that isn’t really exceptional. Sucks to see, and it sucks even more to see that a lot of the best guys on the line are seniors. We’re going to need a lot of production from freshmen/transfers next year or we’re in trouble.

This might’ve been the best-called game we’ve had on offense all season. We were able to keep the chains moving and get touchdowns despite our struggles on the offensive line and the loss of Trey Smith.

On the other hand, dumb penalties are just a killer. Am I correct that eight of our nine penalties (all but the imaginary PI—which paled in comparison to about three that weren’t called the other way) were on the offense? Without the false start on 4th and 5, we very well might win. Without Callaway (who otherwise played great) giving the ref a chance to flag him for 15, that game is 27-27 instead of 27-24 going into the final drive. As badly as the defense played, the offense had their chances to win and blew it with undisciplined penalties.

I have no problems with going for the 4th and 7 or letting the offense have time to set up for the final 4th down play. I do have a problem with not trying to do anything with our time at the end of the first half. Our defense was not good enough to just let the offense manage the game. We have to try to manufacture points whenever we can.

I still think we get UK after the SECECG next week, and Vandy to close the season. But it’s going to be a nervy ride

20. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

Suggests he actually thinks about it and it’s just balls to the wall.

My guess is he liked the way his team was playing and we got the ball coming out of half.

Memtownvol and PilotFlyingJ like this.