Racing Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by The Dooz, Jan 13, 2015.

1. Equine Ducklings

Equine Ducklings New Member

I used to do that in a NASCAR video game. Too bad it only worked at the Brickyard.

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Bump.

Is Dooz alive? Less than a week until the 500 and we haven’t talked about it at all.

3. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Just got the camper loaded. Heading up on Wednesday.

4. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

A few feet away from some fans probably losing their life at the 500. Scary shit.

5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

yeah. That was scary.

6. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Josef Mother[uck fay]ing Newgarden

7. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

MY [uck fay]ING GUY JOSEF NEWGARDEN!

8. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I have interviewed an Indy 500 champion. The state of Tennessee has an Indianapolis 500 champion!

The Dooz likes this.
  9. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Link me.

The guy is simply incredible and still so humble. I didn’t have my voice today from yelling so much at the finish. My wife was really new to IndyCar at one point and I took her in the paddock at Barber to really see how it worked. She was nervous. He was still driving for Sarah at that time so he was easier to access. The first driver she ever met was Josef Newgarden. He couldn’t have been cooler. We talked a little Tennessee, he asked what she thought about the whole thing and took a picture. He earned a fan that day.

10. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Chicago race turned into a decent finish at least. I’ve seen a lot of the writers who cover NASCAR giving them props for pulling off this race, and I have to agree it’s really remarkable what they did. To take something that nobody has ever done before and pull it off required foresight and planning that very few have.

Now that NASCAR has set the standard, I hope other series like IMSA, IndyCar and F1 give street racing a try.

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Loved that van Gisbergen showed up and made everyone his [itch bay] the first time he's ever raced a cup car. Hopefully that will get more people aware of Supercars, because that is some of the best racing there is, imo.

12. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Mostly I've seen whining about him winning and the race on the socials. I thought the race was cool, and as far as track drying and other in race decisions, NASCAR is gonna NASCAR. To be fair, I didn't see a whole lot of the race, but all of the complaints seemed pretty par for the course.

13. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Quite a few things had to happen for him to make people "his [itch bay]". He ran a great race though.

Marks has done some pretty cool things so far as an owner.

14. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

I've heard very mixed reviews. But the little bit that I saw was good. These cars race well in such tight quarters, which was honestly expected with the new formula, but I honestly think for certain markets, street races work better than ovals. Like a joint NASCAR/IndyCar Nashville race would be great stuff. Then maybe something out of the box, like a Pensacola or Myrtle Beach street race and play up the retro/Radwood aspect.

15. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I’m not sure NASCAR would be willing to share their new found secret that is street racing with anybody else, but especially IndyCar.

16. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

10 or even 5 years ago, maybe. I think they both need to understand quickly that their best chance at survival in a rapidly electrifying world is working together. Not only that, honestly, there's a lot more crossover and newer fans would be more likely to enjoy both, now that the political stench of the 90s no longer festers like it once did.

17. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

I was mostly being sarcastic. The NASCAR propaganda machine was in full effect for the street race.

I think a joint event at any street race would be exciting. Chicago is kinda close to IMS so probably wouldn’t be the best place for a dual event, but Nashville would be a good idea.