Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

That hire bailed ND out big time

2. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Kevin Steele in the mix to be DC at Bama. I think the decline has started and it might move pretty fast.

3. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

Coaches are realizing that you can be at a successful program while also not being completely miserable. That is working against Saban.

zehr27 likes this.
  4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Please God yes

NorrisAlan and zehr27 like this.
  5. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Kevin Steele might be old but the guy still has it. Helluva lot better hire than Todd Grantham. But still, Kevin Steele and Tommy Rees makes it feel like the end is coming. Saban should be able to get the best in the game.

justingroves likes this.
  6. SGMVols

SGMVols Contributor

It’s official

NorrisAlan and zehr27 like this.
  7. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I don't think Alabama is going to go away as quietly as we all here are hoping for. They are still reloading on a freakish level on paper each signing class and signed a much better class than we did overall minus us getting the better QB. Auburn is a shit show until further notice. Jimbo and A&M will never figure it out. Ole Miss and MSU have firm ceilings. And Brian Kelly could still falter at LSU with how insane, toxic and unreasonable his fanbase is. But it is nice to see the entire coaching world start to realize that there's more important things in life than subjecting yourself to being a grunt for Saban.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Alabama reloading with talent might not matter anymore. The transfer portal is going to slowly take Bama down to a level that Nicky is not use to. Players are not going to wait in line anymore.

IP, PilotFlyingJ, ole_orange and 2 others like this.
  9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Steel and Saban have worked together a lot and Golding sucked, I don't think it's a terrible hire.

The Rees hire is awful

10. HCKevinSteele

Fwiw Steele left Tuscaloosa on poor terms last time and I’ve heard he’s pretty openly spoken poorly of Saban the past several years. I think with this hire we’re seeing Saban just wants a familiar face for his last ride.

11. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I strongly endorse both coordinator hires for Bama.

justingroves, IP, NorrisAlan and 2 others like this.
  12. IP

IP Super Moderator

We are going to need psa's about the hazards of frequent exposure to cigar smoke in Knoxville soon, I hope.

warhammer, zehr27 and PilotFlyingJ like this.
  13. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

[uck fay] YES.

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Steele never leaves a job on good terms, he's got about a 3 year shelf life before he needs to move again. It's not a great hire, it's an easy hire which Saban never does. It does look a hell of a lot better than the Rees hire, though.

Steele and Saban know each other, they've worked together quite a bit, they may not like each other but they know what to do.

I do not understand why you hire Rees

Last edited: Feb 6, 2023
  15. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Because he said yes.

16. HCKevinSteele

Rees hire makes it seem like Saban wants to go back to murder ball. Not exactly foolish since they don’t really have the horses to run what they’ve been running the past 4 years. The problem with going back to murder ball though is that when they succeeded that way their defense was better, not to mention that murder ball is infinitely easier to defend.

17. IP

IP Super Moderator

You can't play that way without an elite defense and expect to win championships.

18. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Sure seems that way

19. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

His first target sure didn't play murder ball.

20. HCKevinSteele

Perhaps I should have said wants to return to murder ball if he can’t hire an OC he thinks can effectively execute throw it all over the yard speed ball.