Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

Eh idk. Steele did pretty damn good while he was at Auburn.

2. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Who is going to be Alabama's QB this year? Is it Simpson or one of the freshman? If so, sounds like a disaster waiting to happen with Rees as the OC.

3. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Ok, Kevin lol

But fr, perhaps he did however I guess my memory of him at AU is overshadowed by memories of the SEC finally figuring out how to stop Gus's offense when he was there.

IP likes this.
  4. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Another random Iowa football memory that I can never shake from my mind is their kick returner vs us in the TurboTaxesSuckGatorAss.Com Bowl actually fielding the ball at two yard line only to inexplicably chuck the ball forward out of bounds as soon as we swarmed him. That entire sequence was truly one of the most horrifically atrocious things I have ever witnessed on a football field at any level. You know the program you coach thoroughly sucks butt when Butch freaking Jones walks the dog all over you.

5. HCKevinSteele

Gus doesn’t make it as long as he did without Steele’s defenses being really dang good.

And I can imagine how to most of the world it seemed like Gus’s downfall was people figuring out his offense, but that really wasn’t the main problem. When Gus showed up he had a loaded offense full of NFL talent and by year 3 it was gone and he never came close to replacing it (save for one good year with Jarrett Stidham, Kerryon Johnson and Darius Slayton). He just couldn’t recruit or evaluate worth a damn.

Memtownvol and justingroves like this.
  6. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

We beat them in the kickoff classic 22 to 17 I believe in 87. Only time I’ve ever seen a pitch sweep get intercepted.

justingroves likes this.
  7. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

You are probably right knowing AU much better than I do. I just mainly remember stuff like the 2018 game against us on the plains serving as a prime example of Gus going full on tard mode allowing his quirky play calling and scheme to give a team as putridly awful as Tennessee was that year a chance to get back into the game and ultimately pull off the upset over a more talented Auburn team. After the miracle 2013 season, Auburn just never really dazzled anyone again offensively under him outside of a few brief moments during the 2017 season. The weekly "should we fahr him" debates and teeth gnashing coming from AU faithful during Steele's tenure there made it seem like to outsiders all their coaches were on the hot seat for a like a decade until Auburn boosters finally pulled the plug on Gus.

8. HCKevinSteele

Now that 2018 game Pruitt dang sure had Gus figured out. Wouldn’t take a genius though, I was in the stands and calling almost every play to my buddies before the snap just based off the motion. That Auburn team was awful on O though outside a couple spots.

It’s funny though I think Auburn people remember that game purely as Auburn killing themselves but that’s not totally accurate. Steele had a great D but he taught his corners to play their man too much. JG might have been trash but he was fine that day and his 3 NFL wide receivers made Auburn look pretty stupid.

9. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

JG threw it up a lot that day and we caught every one, but was that the game he literally thre one of the worst ints ever? 10 yards short and into quadruple coverage

10. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

You are thinking of the Covid year where his mind numbing pick 6 into quadruple coverage with our offense on the verge of scoring and taking the lead late in the 4th single handily cost us victory in that game.

2018 game he played like a man with how he stood strong in the pocket and took a beating all day. However even that day he got really lucky with how his NFL WRs found a way to catch every single 50/50 jump ball thrown deep. He wasn’t exactly fitting the ball perfectly in people’s bread baskets that day either. Marquez and Jennings each had career days. Our WRs simply had gorilla superglue or something on their hands that day as they managed to somehow successfully swallow up every ball thrown within a 20 yard vicinity of them

11. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Still the worst INT I've seen...

justingroves likes this.
  12. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

And I'd almost forgotten about this amazing sequence. He made Nathan Peterman look like Tom Brady.

justingroves likes this.
  13. IP

IP Super Moderator

I'll never forget that. That's going to be on the jumbotron in my personal hell.

14. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

I was there and sitting beside a couple of Iowa fans. Let’s just say they left before I did.

15. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

He got us Chuck Webb

16. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Wish he could have kept him healthy. Webb was so special.

17. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

If only Dr. James Andrews was a thing in the 1980s/early 90s. Many to this day still swear we easily could have won the natty in that era had the Cobb-Webb machine stayed fully healthy.

18. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

Greatest football player to set foot on campus in my lifetime.

19. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

1990 most likely. Tony Thompson was fantastic in leading the conference rushing, but Webb would have been a 2000 yard rusher if healthy.

20. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

I've heard the "what could have been" folk lore surrounding the Webb injury my entire life. People that were around then have sworn he could have been our own version of Herschel Walker if not for his devasting injury. I was not even born yet so I'm not exactly the authority to speak on that era of UT football, but perhaps a healthy Webb gives us an offense prolific enough to negate us losing containment on Rocket Ishmael late in that epic Notre Dame battle in Knoxville that year (that 90 ND game was rehashed often to me over the years because my parents went out of their way to attend that game to conclude their honeymoon). He probably alters the outcome of the 1990 Alabama game too which by all historical accounts was an all-time devastating defeat for Tennessee.