Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Saban doesn't make desperation hires. He doesn't have to, but do either of these get in that neighborhood for him? Both were fairly public searches.

2. HCKevinSteele

HCKevinSteele Well-Known Member

I think it’s fair to say that about Rees.

3. govols182

govols182 Honorary Mod

ND Offense under Rees:

2020:
    Total: 26th
    Passing: 58th
    Rushing: 24th
    Scoring: 30th

2021:
    Total: 45th
    Passing: 20th
    Rushing: 83rd
    Scoring: T-19th

2022:
    Total: 60th
    Passing: 98th
    Rushing: 35th
    Scoring: 42nd

Just from these stats, I would say this is an average to slightly above average hire. Most Alabama fans seem to like the hire.

4. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Most bammers can't write with crayon because they've eaten it already.

Memtownvol, SetVol13, Unimane and 2 others like this.
  5. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

This is hilarious.

6. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Iowa is committed to their image

7. IP

IP Super Moderator

As a fan of a team that averaged about 25 points in the 1st half, it is hard to relate.

8. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

Amazingly, this gets better.

IP likes this.
  9. Customtaco

Customtaco Member

10. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

Because Rees will take Saban's shit with a smile on his face?

As for Steele-I don't care if he and Saban are "familiar" with each other- I fail to see the appeal in his brand in 2023. The game has passed him by. I will never not think of WVU hanging like 95 points on Clemson against his defense in the Orange Bowl a few years back when I think of him. That was arguably the worst defensive performance by one team in a single game in the entire history of the sport. I guess the hope is a golden doodle could be a competent D Coordinator with all the talent Bama perennially has on that side of the ball.

11. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

12. PilotFlyingJ

PilotFlyingJ Chieftain

13. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

What has Iowa ever done? Make an Orange Bowl 20 years ago where they lost to USC by like 40? Choke in the 4th quarter against a highly overrated MSU squad in a big 10 title game like 5 years ago?

Having to be an Iowa fan has to be a uniquely awful circle in sports hell to find yourself stuck in. Ferentz brand offenses makes Pruitt's Tennessee offenses look like the 1999 St. Louis Rams in comparison. Kirk being christened as an un-fireable coaching icon by Iowa's Athletic Department for an entire generation has always been mystifying to me as someone looking in from the outside. Maybe since Iowa is such a talent ridden football state where most of their HS schools have to play 7-7 Kirk actually is a genius for ensuring Iowa goes anywhere from 6-6/8-4 each year. But still, I have never bought the narrative that Kirk Ferentz is some kind of coaching legend.

14. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Nick Saban:Bill Belichick:: Kirk Ferentz:Jeff Fisher

15. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

Ferentz has pictures on somebody, only explanation

16. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

As a Titan fan who knows field goal Fisher suck ass football better than most: at least Jeff Fisher won an AFC Championship game, multiple playoff games, and several division titles while overseeing an NFL MVP QB, an NFL Rushing Title RB, and elite badass NFL defenses during his prime. Kirk has never had a stretch on the field that could rival Fisher's 1999-2003 peak.

17. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Ferentz has multiple B1G titles, multiple division titles, a peak ranking of #2 (just like Fischer), 14 consensus AA's.

and zero championships to show for it.

18. utvol0427

utvol0427 Chieftain

Outside of Ohio State, Ferentz is peak Big 10 football. Boring, no offense, no championships.

justingroves likes this.
  19. ole_orange

ole_orange Board Simp

*A couple co-big 10 titles each happening over 20 years ago despite having now head coached like a decade longer than Fisher. Zero Heisman winners compared to Fisher having an NFL MVP. He also never finished a season #2 like Fisher did once. Give me 1999-2003 Fisher any day of the week over Ferentz at any point in his career. And that's not some ringing endorsement of Fisher. I just think Kirk Ferentz is that impressively mediocre overall.

20. lumberjack4

lumberjack4 Chieftain

They have those pink locker rooms though