Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. Ssmiff

Ssmiff Went to the White House...Again

I think in years to come we wi'll see more cte in younger males that started playing football when they were little.

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

But at QB?

I'm not arguing, I am just kinda skeptical and too ignorant to form a strong stance. I think there may be some covariables to cte that go along with impacts. You'v probably seen our painkiller/inflammation talk on here. And there is surprisingly not a lot of detailed study of this

3. Ssmiff

Qbs were usually the best player on their little league teams and thru most of HS, running the ball a lot and usually star on defense as well for many kids.
    Big reason why the flag and 7 v 7 are gaining steam is due to concussion concern.

4. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

As of now, there is exactly 0 evidence of CTE caused by high school football and below. 0.

5. Ssmiff

I think that will change. I have a couple of nfl buddies with kids same age as my 11 year old and there is a reason their kids don't play tackle football right now. A growing brain getting bruised over and over can't be good. Plus kids are bigger, stronger, faster.

6. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Girls soccer is more dangerous than HS football.

edit: Not sure about this now. Went back and read the articles and the reporters trying to interpret the findings are clearly clueless.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  7. CardinalVol

Maybe, maybe not. And I do understand that position you guys take.

8. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

There’s no evidence that we’re going to see more CTE due to youth and high school football.

I’m not saying concussions aren’t a concern or something we shouldn’t take serious. However to date it’s more a witch hunt than anything.

The main driver of it seems to be chronic use of pain medication.

justingroves and chavisut like this.
  9. CardinalVol

Show the man what he's won.

10. Ssmiff

There's no evidence because it hasn't been studied. You would need the brain of suicide victims that played football at a young age or thru HS.

11. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

It has been studied. They’ve studied the two populations of played football and not played football.

There’s no differences in the two health wise and the group that played football had a lower suicide rate.

12. A-Smith

A-Smith Chieftain

Could be that people with more confidence and lack of tendencies that might make you prone to suicide are more likely to play sports though.

IP likes this.
  13. Ssmiff

14. CardinalVol

IP likes this.
  15. CardinalVol

Part 2 of this is how little youth hit today in practice relative to 20, heck, 10 years ago.

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

That doesn't exactly drive at the cte issue. Not precisely.

I tend to lean towards your camp, but there isn't a lot to go on. Short of extracting 2000 brains from 19 year olds, this is likely to remain fuzzy.

I would let my kid play tackle football. But if they turn out to be prone to concussions they'r gonna have to stop.

17. Volst53

Volst53 Super Moderator

That’s perfectly reasonable.

Basically Boston University is the only one finding CTE everywhere and don’t like to answer to research that goes against there’s.

There’s a large percentage of heads of neurosurgeons that played football and the majority of them says that they believe football is safe and would let their kids play too.

Football is just easy to vilify due to demographics

18. CardinalVol

Meh, rub some dirt on it and get back out there. Real men fight through concussions.

(kidding)

19. IP

IP Super Moderator

I think the origin of this whole issue was instances of players playing concussed or too soon, leading to more and worse.

20. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

Hell boy, you just got your bell rung. Get back it there. 32 belly on 2, or can you do that keeper again?