Random college football thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by zero-sum, May 9, 2015.

1. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

So basically if you're an upperclassmen that gets beat out, quit.

2. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Don't waste your last year or two of eligibility. Go play.

3. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

What's all the hubbub about leaving midseason? Why is it radically different than transferring after the season?

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

I think it is because you lose your depth as a team. Imagine half the players who are not playing (to take it to an extreme), left. Being beat out means you are one injury away from playing again.

I think transfers should be free of penalty anytime after the season is over, since you are only guaranteed 1 season of scholarship anyway. Smacks of the old reservation clause in baseball.

cpninja likes this.
  5. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Because you might be hurting the team by leaving when they need you.

6. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Pretty clear they don't need, for example, Bryant.

7. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

And? Recruit more honestly and I doubt you see this type of disgruntled player

8. RockyHill

Clemson is now one Trevor Lawrence injury away from a lost season. I don’t blame Kelly Bryant for what he’s doing, but that fact remains.

What about Jalen McCleskey.

There’s going to be some of these transfers where it’s a guy that does play and contribute, but the player feels like they aren’t being used enough/properly. And of those players some will be guys that have very slim chances of making a living playing football, and whose best interest would probably be served by sticking it out.

Again, I don’t begrudge any player for doing what they feel is in their best interest, but it’s silly to pretend some of these guys aren’t abandoning their brothers.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Until Lawrence breaks an ankle

10. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Make your mind up man.

11. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

There are 3 other QBs on the roster. They'll live.

12. RockyHill

What isn’t clear about what I said? Just because I think players should be allowed to do it doesn’t mean I can’t believe that any many cases they will be doing a disservice to their teammates.

13. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Also not a fan of thinking I know what's in another person's best interests when it comes to something like this.

14. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

"A disservice" is a joke. People like Bryant gave it everything then got recruited over. The person that has had a disservice done to them is Bryant if you look at it that way.

15. RockyHill

How many of the last 20 national champs do you think would still have won with their 3rd QB.

16. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

How is that Bryant's problem? How do you know what promises were or were not made to him? We have enough evidence to believe that recruiting is full of BS. He feels it's in his best interests to leave.

Get gone and go play.

17. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Coaches can leave at any point in their contract. Players should be able to do the same. Difference is the players "contract" is one year.

18. RockyHill

Jesus. I wouldn’t pretend to know in any particular scenario, but there will be people transferring who are chasing the NFL dream who are approaching, if not having already arrived at the point where they need to accept that the NFL isn’t going to happen for them.

19. lylsmorr

lylsmorr Super Moderator

Why does this matter?

20. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

Coaches leave in middle of season?

RockyHill likes this.