POLITICS Random Political/Legal

Discussion in 'Politicants' started by fl0at_, Jun 7, 2021.

1. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

2. IP

IP Super Moderator

Also if early votes were counted and released at the start of election day, it would be the reverse. Dems would start ahead and then fade.

emainvol likes this.
  3. IP

IP Super Moderator

Crossovers from moderate R's was certainly a thing in 2022.

4. IP

IP Super Moderator

Boebert may be in curing range, according to some.

5. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

Republicans have hit 217 in the House and are favored to win three more, which puts them two over what they'd need to control the House. Democrats are at 204, but will get a handful of wins, likely, from California and a couple of other places. Interestingly enough, had California done gerrymandering as so many other states have done, they probably could've guaranteed a Dem House.

6. VolDad

VolDad Super Moderator

Lake is going on a twitter rant. Following the Trump playbook till the bitter end.

7. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I said way early this year the Republicans set this up to make it a win for them. They will win the house but by a slim margin which should hopefully keep them on task and away from silly shit like investigating Hunter Biden or any other crap.

8. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Whether she was a Trump person or not I think she would have lost. She just seems unlikeable.

9. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Why wouldn't you count them early?

10. IP

IP Super Moderator

Because laws have been passed many places preventing that. I think the stated concern is that it would influence voting turnout day of. The cynical criticism is that Republicans want less time to cure votes. I.e. if you voted in October and it was counted, you would be notified if there was some problem with your vote. Like the signature was too different or you forgot to include some piece of information. You would then have until a week or two after election day (it varies) to come in and provide that info or present ID to fix a signature being "too different." If they counted early, you would have more than a week or two and more votes cast would actually be counted.

If you look at these close races, both candidates are tweeting out to check and see if your name is listed as having an uncured ballot. There are typically thousands of ballots that can need curing for often trivially small reasons to count, that aren't. In a race decided by a few points this doesn't matter. But for ones decided by less than a point it could make the difference.

In person ballots don't need curing because they are providing proof of ID, so this affects mail in and drop box voters.

The other aspect is military and overseas voting. Those can come in later and in a very close election they actually matter. If a vote is 55/45, you can call it late that night or early morning. If it is 50.5/49.5, you can't know until you have like all of the votes and went through curing.

11. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Looks like the house should be done by today or tomorrow. While I prefer a Repbublican house if they only get to 218 and Boebert is the person to win it I would rather not. I just can't stomach her being the person that wins the house for the GOP.

12. Unimane

Unimane Kill "The Caucasian"

I don't think you'll have to worry. I think the GOP will end up with 220 or 221, though including Boebert.

zehr27 likes this.
  13. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Hopefully. I can't stand her and wish she would have lost.

14. IP

IP Super Moderator

That it is close is amazing, if you have ever been to western colorado.

15. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I haven't. How does she win?

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

Very conservative, lots of ranching and resource extraction. Mining and fracking is huge out there. And then farming along the Colorado and Gunnison.

17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

Yeah that says a lot about how unlikeable she is then based on how close it is. Someone will primary her next time based off these numbers and take her out. At least that is the hope.

18. emainvol

emainvol Administrator

She may [uck fay] around and end up indicted before then anyway.

19. Indy

Indy Pronoun Analyst

I don't know much about Boebert or the area she covers, but I think it's the opposite of what you're saying, with regards to the primary. A lot of these MAGA candidates are GREAT at winning a primary but terrible for a general. It's basically the reason the GOP failed this cycle. A bunch of unelectable candidates won primaries with Trump's endorsement.

IP likes this.
  20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

She is definitely not Teflon Don so she better watch out. She would be easy to throw under the bus.