Randy's Rants - Confederate Flags

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by rbroyles, Jun 21, 2015.

1. kidbourbon

kidbourbon Well-Known Member

Herbie?

2. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

sounds similar to the middle east and the folks dancing in the streets after 9/11. maybe hat has a point.

I have no skin in the game and therefore obviously don't see why some would fight so hard for something that others, maybe even irrationally, consider hateful.

3. kidbourbon

I thought there was a draft.

4. kidbourbon

Hold on, it was indefensible by 1860? So it was okay 50 years prior? Sounds like you're going with the "but all the kids were doing it" moral barometer.

5. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

seems to be giving the average foot solider a lot of credit. look at Vietnam. what percentage of people just show up when told or even asked? 90%? at least?

6. kidbourbon

Sound analysis as always.

7. kidbourbon

I'm with Droski on this one.

8. OrangeBlood79

OrangeBlood79 Contributor

According to family legend, my great-great-great-Grandfather was on CSS Virginia, or the Merrimack, but lied about his age at enlistment and, once it was discovered, he was taken off the ship not long before it sunk. How much of that is true and how much of that is legend, I have no idea...though I've always wanted to do an ancestral study to find out.

Here's the thing about the flag....take that shit down. Contemporarily, it's a divisive symbol that espouses memories of segregation, Jim Crow, hatred, ignorance, and racial violence. While there might be some that feel a certain historical sentiment, even those people have to admit its tendency to bring up bad blood when the flag is raised. Its place should be in a museum or within a historical setting, not flying high above a state house or government property.

Here's the thing about the men who fought in the Civil War...

There were good men, there were bad men. There were men who were idealistic and fought for the cause and there were men who fought to defend their homes but knew little about the cause. There were racists, bigots, and those who believed in slavery...on both sides.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  9. JohnnyQuickkick

JohnnyQuickkick Calcio correspondent

yea

10. DC Vol

DC Vol Contributor

I think you are completely misconstruing what I was saying.

11. OrangeEmpire

OrangeEmpire Take a chance, Custer did

Facebook culture warriors are bringing it.

12. OrangeEmpire

13. OrangeEmpire

It's true because it's on the internet.

[​IMG]

14. droski

droski Traffic Criminal

15. OrangeEmpire

16. OrangeEmpire

It's sad people are getting this worked up over a confederate flag.

17. Beechervol

Beechervol Super Moderator

Maybe even more sad whats being ignored in that process.

18. IP

IP Super Moderator

Speaking towards a few comments on this page, I sincerely doubt most northern soldiers cared about black people's freedom or well-being. It was the benefits of slavery that irked them.

19. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

Thank you. If the entire economic system of the North relied on slave labor it wouldn't have been abolished as soon as it was.

20. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I generally think most (not all, most) felt slavery was in and of itself wrong. They just didn't care enough to stop using it as a means of how they ran their business operations.