Retirement: What's your number?

Discussion in 'The Thunderdome' started by XXROCKYTOPXX, Dec 20, 2016.

1. reVOLt

reVOLt Contributor

I think every wife says that. It took my dad 3 tries before retirement stuck. He finally started doing a bunch of volunteer work at his church to keep himself busy and stayed successfully retired this last time.

Me, I'm going to stay very very busy fishing.

2. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

I've gotten to that point. No idea how I survived all the free time I had in college. I suppose alcohol helped. I get worn out and look forward to Saturday, but then I spend most of the morning doing paperwork and then the afternoon looking for home improvement projects.

3. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

That is amazing.

4. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

You guys are crazy.

My days off, I want to do nothing but sit around and read a book.

5. The Dooz

The Dooz Super Moderator

Same. Or play golf, drink beers, watch games, go to the lake, whatever.

I even do yard work on weekenights to make sure Saturday and Sunday are clear.

6. **TDCVOL**

**TDCVOL** Contributor

I want to have $6-$7k per month in income from rental property. I have around $2k right now. Not sure how much money we will have (guess I need to work on that).

7. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

I picked up wood working. Made a couple of baby gates and a bar so far.

8. TennTradition

TennTradition Super Moderator

I don't have a clue how I could get bored around the house. I can barely sit down before getting my next request/demand - 'do you wanna...?'

I have a 4.5 year old that has no concept of playing alone or with her sister.

9. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

I have actually wanted to start doing that too. We are getting our basement finished out early next year and I would love to build a killer bar.

10. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

During the summer we spend about every weekend on the lake. Its perfect for me since I still stay busy grilling and playing with the kids.

11. gcbvol

gcbvol Fabulous Moderator

That's pretty cool. Love you're creating pieces you can actually use. I want to take up painting.

12. CardinalVol

CardinalVol Uncultured, non-diverse mod

I don't think I ever fully turn work off now unless it's a full fledged family thing.

13. XXROCKYTOPXX

XXROCKYTOPXX Chieftain

Haha, same here. It doesn't help that we just moved but even before it was the same. Always something to do on the "honey do" list and the kiddos are always wanting to play.

14. kmf600

kmf600 Energy vampire

What's this day off you guys speak of?

15. InVolNerable

FIL is the VP of a lumber distribution company, and he loves building shit too. Seemed like a good hobby to take up.

16. InVolNerable

I call dibs on first commissioned piece.

17. rbroyles

rbroyles Chieftain

I retired at age 59 and had been used to 60-80 hour weeks for almost 20 years. Never took off more than a four day weekend which was almost always in conjunction with a Dealer meeting. At least they were usually in the Caribbean or South Beach. I was ready to do nothing, but soon started substitute teaching to do something that mattered, and now am involved in several volunteer jobs, including being on the Board of Directors of one organization. There are a multitude of places needing volunteers, and I get more from it than I give.

Also spent much time with music.

18. fl0at_

fl0at_ Humorless, asinine, joyless pr*ck

Isn't that the same as actually commissioning the piece?

19. InVolNerable

I'm saying I have right of first refusal. Like prima nocta.

20. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

That works out nicely.