Saving Butch Beyond 2017

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Apr 5, 2017.

1. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

That's right. Butch lost by 45 to them in Eugene. Which was the worst loss since like 1918 or something.

2. dknash

dknash Chieftain

Maintain a pulse

3. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I should have worded that differently. I hate the sum[itch bay], but it's hard to hold anything in 2013 against him. All I'm saying is that barring a total collapse, I don't see anyone on our schedule who will embarrass us except maybe Bama.

4. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He had a great o line and ran a read option offense with Worley. He's a dumbass

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Losing to Vandy and South Carolina is embarrassing

6. NorrisAlan

NorrisAlan Founder of the Mike Honcho Fan Club

fyp

7. RockyHill

We have different standards than the masses. It takes some shockingly poor performance to tank attendance to the level that gets you fired. I think it's possible we fire him even with butts in seats until the end but i have my doubts.

8. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Eight wins from wherever and/or winning whatever title including a tie for the champions of adversity or whatnot gets him back in 18. A bag full​ of excuses lowers the target to 7.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

9. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

That he can't do enough to overcome the hole with you, me and just about anyone who is paying attention, is inarguable. We're already light years beyond "if" and have setup shop on "when" he should be gone.

The question is about what the Admin / Boosters are likely to see as being sufficient reason to keep him beyond 2017, given all that we know about them.

Simply, "our" standard is nowhere nearly indicative of "their" standard....but it is "they" and not "us" who make the decisions.

Case in point: Many of us hated the Dooley hire from Day 1 (zero?), and he proved us correct in that belief at every opportunity. After he blew a 30+ year winning streak by losing to Kentucky, who was playing with a WR at QB and which caused us to miss being bowl eligible....I'd say that roughly 65% of even our orange-colored glass-wearing fanbase thought he should have been fired when the team plane landed back in Knoxville. And all of this is without even mentioning what a piece of shit human being that many knew him to be, how strongly he was disliked by those both within and outside of the program, alike, and how he had essentially given up after that loss - and most glaringly, on the recruiting trail. But the Admins / Boosters didn't see it the same way, at all - because they either wouldn't or couldn't see it - and not only brought him back the following year....but later admitted that the collapse at home against a putrid Mizzou club wasn't actually his final straw, despite such being the near unanimous consensus of the fanbase, pundits, talking heads, etc. in the wake of that loss. And in fact, Hart himself later admitted (long after Dooley had been gone, and ostensibly, when there was little reason to then lie about the timeline of events) to local media that Dooley's tenure still could have been saved for another season, had he won the rest of his games - even after that stupid loss to Mizzou at home. His winning out would have, to paraphrase Hart's comments (from memory) "given us (the Admin / Boosters) something to hang our hat on (read: justify) in giving him another season" And so, despite all of this, even Dooley's fate wasn't actually sealed until the team (again) collapsed in another stunning loss to Vandy. Had Dooley beaten Vandy, he would have been given another - and fourth - season, as incredibly difficult as it is to imagine that.

If Tennessee has proven anything in the last 10-15 years or so (or, 30, plus or minus "ever", depending upon who you ask) it is this: They neither care nor even seem to pay attention to what "we" want, but simply and exclusively about what "they" prefer, instead.

Now having been reminded of how grotesquely disconnected and disjointed the decision-makers are from the fans, use that prism to evaluate Butch's prospects for continuing beyond next year.

10. ptclaus98

ptclaus98 Contributor

Yeah but the Auburn loss was Butch.

11. InVolNerable

InVolNerable Fark Master Flex

Depending on how well LSU clicks, they could very well dismantle us.

12. RockyHill

The defensive coaching in that game was bad, but there's plenty of good coaches who'd have gotten spanked too if they were coaching UT that day.

13. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

fyp

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

14. justingroves

justingroves supermod

No

15. RockyHill

How do you figure?

16. Tenacious D

Tenacious D The law is of supreme importance, or no importance

Because Malzhan is a complete fraud of a coach, and Auburn has a shit roster comprised entirely of kids who Bama didn't care enough about to extend an invite to walk-on.

And all Auburn women are whores.

17. justingroves

justingroves supermod

They beat every other sec team by 14 points or less that year

18. RockyHill

That would be a bad argument even if it were true, which it isn't.

19. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Okay.

A shit team in 2012 converts a cb to qb and becomes a world beater. No. An opportunistic defense with a ball control offense didn't "blow teams" out of the water.

20. RockyHill

2012 Auburn had plenty of talent. They were trash because behind the scenes it was a train wreck, and ole Gene decided to hire an incredibly bad OC and attempt to go pro style with players recruited for the spread. I know that you know your stuff but you're wrong on this.