Saving Butch Beyond 2017

Discussion in 'Vols Football' started by Tenacious D, Apr 5, 2017.

1. BigOrangeBeech

BigOrangeBeech Poster of the Month, July 2014 and recruiting guy!

This too

2. RockyHill

RockyHill Loves Auburn more than Tennessee.

I don't remember what finally broke the game but I feel like basically every second half possession each team went three and out.

3. BigOrangeBeech

It was one of the hardest games to watch regardless of which side you were on. Just terrible football and coaching all around.

4. Duckman

Duckman Chieftain

9-4 is very realistic for this next year and honestly for all seasons in the foreseeable future.

Butch has turned out to be the exact coach that many fans feared in the sense that he's not bad enough to completely let the bottom fall out of a season like Dooley, but instead does just enough to keep his job year after year.

5. justingroves

justingroves supermod

He's extremely lucky the Dobbnail boot happened, or, that Richt pulled a Richt in 2015.

He's been extremely close to the bottom falling out

6. bigpapavol

bigpapavol Chieftain

He's definitely bad enough. The weak schedules have made it work for him. He has never beaten an equally talented or better team while at UT. Even idiots stumble backwards into some of these.

7. docholiday

docholiday Contributor

I believe the above posts answered your fears regarding 9-4 seasons moving forward.
    Not happening. Trumpet blower(tears rolling down his red cheeks) will remain in the fetal
    position for all of 2017 whispering where is Dobbs to help me pull out these miracle sham victories.

8. kptvol

kptvol Super Moderator

South Carolina in 2013 fits the bill, but he followed that up with a loss to Vanderbilt.

9. BigOrangeBeech

Yep that's really the only game he gets credit for. The scale is tilted so far the other way though with all the games he had no business losing.

10. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

I think that we sometimes forget to foresee and/or properly factor the timing and flow of events into our prognostications on Butch / the team.

Case in Point

Look at this outcome for next season "on paper" for Tennessee / Jones:•Finishes the season at 9-4
    •Regular Season LOSSES: @UF (by 10), UGA (by 7), @Bama (by 14), PennST (by 3) in bowl game
    •Regular Season WINS: GATech (7), Indiana St. (35+), UMass (+35), USC (14), @KY (21+), SouthMiss (28+), @Mizzou (14+), LSU (1), Vandy (14+)
    •Doesn't win (or even tie for) the SECE title
    •Misses the SECCG, doesn't go to Atlanta
    •Misses any BCS bowl, goes to some meaningless Florida-based bowl game
    •Loses to some random Big 10 team in said meaningless bowl game.

Result "on paper": If you told me that this is what was going to happen next year, I'd say that it's almost certain that he is fired at season's end - 98% chance that he gets ran. That's on paper.

If we go 9-3 regular season, regardless of how, when, and where, Butch is staying. Unless he makes a really bad move at an athletic department fundraiser involving a Fifth of Jack Daniels and someone's wife, 9 wins saves his job without breaking a sweat. And, it quite frankly exceeds expectations.

Having said that, your analysis of how the sheep will find your scenario to hold great promise is realistic and sickening.

11. TDVol1989

TDVol1989 Always Be Menstruating

Currie is really an x-factor here. He might be trigger happy. But, I think 8 wins buys Butch at the very least a 2018 ultimatum. I think 7 wins puts the ball in Currie's court. I think 6 wins means the end of the BJ era.

On the other hand, anything less than 3 consecutive Undefeated Seasons with Nattys and a sudden case of nothing to say and I personally want him gone.

12. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Yeah, even winning three consecutive National Titles, he'd have to shut the **** up with his 5 star heart quotes

13. justingroves

justingroves supermod

If Spurrier hadn't just said "screw it, my team is shit, let's miss this field goal and go home" in 2014, Butch misses a bowl game.

14. chavisut

chavisut Dan Mullen Fan Club President

You think they convert the 4th and 30?

15. justingroves

justingroves supermod

Spurrier went into Butch mode on that overtime possession.

The entire drive was a train wreck

16. IP

IP Super Moderator

No, but I remember there being a lot of questionable playcalls for South Carolina in the final minutes. Had they run clock more, that game was over in regulation.

17. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

2009 was not much better.

18. zehr27

zehr27 8th's VIP

It's Botch, yes.

19. BigOrangeBeech

Didn't Crompton throw like 3 interceptions in a row in that game?

20. warhammer

warhammer Chieftain

Lyle gets a win over Muschamp? #progress

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk